• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
J

90 Day Sweep Picking Challenge - HQ (unabridged) | Guitar Acceleration #2

Includes excerpts from The Wicked End, Sidewinder, and The Stage. Let me know what you think of my progress!
Hey, this is really cool and it's definitely useful to track your progress this way.
If I were you I would use Syn's sweep picking exercises as they cover more of the fundamental sweeps as the ones you are using seem to be quite a bit trickier with the notes that are in them.
The only reason I say this is because as much as it's great to do challenging sweep picking patterns, I did notice some things you should really slow down and fix or it's gonna really hurt your progress in the long run.

It sounds like you are missing some notes in the sweeps and also sometimes when you do your pull-offs or the note before it and usually notes close to the bottom before you turn the pick around.
I would try and slow down a bit to work on cleaning it up as there is still quite a bit of string noise, so work on using both palm and fretting hand muting techniques. If you need help with that I can make you a quick youtube video, no problem! Maybe try and keep your hand a bit flatter and closer to the strings rather than floating so high above them (picking hand that is).

Now I'm gonna let you know some things that you are doing really well because there is plenty of good stuff here as well!
First off, the fact that you down pick the thickest string in your sweeps is an excellent way to do it (I do it too, so does syn). It helps a lot with preventing the bottom string from making unwanted noise.
You also seem to fret the sweeps decent, I think you only miss some notes cuz your pick and fretting aren't perfectly synchronized.
Your fretting hand is very well positioned and your fingers are mostly horizontal to the strings (obviously sometimes you don't want it to be). I'm glad you didn't learn that wrong like I did and had to relearn. It will help a ton with making bigger stretches down the road!

Overall very well done. I would love to see you do some of Syn's exercises and post maybe a weekly video of your progress?! I think it will really help you become a master at sweep picking fairly quickly (like yours truly ;)).

Here's a video I made if you want to copy Syn's technique which in my opinion is the absolute best way to do it....I've been able to sweep 15+ motes in a second because of it!

Reactions: John Burkholder
Hey, this is really cool and it's definitely useful to track your progress this way.
If I were you I would use Syn's sweep picking exercises as they cover more of the fundamental sweeps as the ones you are using seem to be quite a bit trickier with the notes that are in them.
The only reason I say this is because as much as it's great to do challenging sweep picking patterns, I did notice some things you should really slow down and fix or it's gonna really hurt your progress in the long run.

It sounds like you are missing some notes in the sweeps and also sometimes when you do your pull-offs or the note before it and usually notes close to the bottom before you turn the pick around.
I would try and slow down a bit to work on cleaning it up as there is still quite a bit of string noise, so work on using both palm and fretting hand muting techniques. If you need help with that I can make you a quick youtube video, no problem! Maybe try and keep your hand a bit flatter and closer to the strings rather than floating so high above them (picking hand that is).

Now I'm gonna let you know some things that you are doing really well because there is plenty of good stuff here as well!
First off, the fact that you down pick the thickest string in your sweeps is an excellent way to do it (I do it too, so does syn). It helps a lot with preventing the bottom string from making unwanted noise.
You also seem to fret the sweeps decent, I think you only miss some notes cuz your pick and fretting aren't perfectly synchronized.
Your fretting hand is very well positioned and your fingers are mostly horizontal to the strings (obviously sometimes you don't want it to be). I'm glad you didn't learn that wrong like I did and had to relearn. It will help a ton with making bigger stretches down the road!

Overall very well done. I would love to see you do some of Syn's exercises and post maybe a weekly video of your progress?! I think it will really help you become a master at sweep picking fairly quickly (like yours truly ;)).

Here's a video I made if you want to copy Syn's technique which in my opinion is the absolute best way to do it....I've been able to sweep 15+ motes in a second because of it!

Thanks bud! I am aware of my mistakes because I try to exaggerate them. I exaggerate them so that they are easy for me to spot later. I know I am not perfect at Sweep Picking, but I'll get there some day.

On another note, I am not trying to Sweep like Syn, but rather I am trying to Sweep like me - develop my own signature style.

Music is an art after all :)

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
John Burkholder
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media