• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Matt Wildcat

Economy Picking Etude 1 attempt

Done for a college assignment. Attempt at the SGS Economy Picking Etude 1 after around a week of practice.
Had to focus the camera on my picking hand so apologies that you can't see my fretting hand that much.

I keep having problems where I don't let the strings ring out long enough, but here I think I managed to get it somewhat right. A little annoyed that I completely botched the bend right at the end, but this was my best recorded attempt to date. Planning to try move onto the next step of the Etude with the 6 notes, can do it around 70% speed but any faster and I lose it.

As for my picking, I feel like it's not smooth enough at this speed, still feels like I'm plucking more despite trying to angle the pick a little. Is it just because it's slow and that once I get faster, it'll be a lot smoother? Also, is it bad I rest the guitar on my left leg to reach notes comfortably? Tips + comments appreciated!

(Also a side note to everyone who offered me advice yesterday - Thank you!!)
Hey Millie, that was great! If the notes don't ring long enough it might be that your left and right hand are slightly out of synch. Best thing to do against that is going even slower again until you got that lick perfectly at low speed and it's in your muscle memory. Where you rest your guitar is up to you, although you might wanna start holding the guitar "properly" as soon as possible just so you get comfortable with it. Also practice standing up if you can! (This will suck A LOT in the beginning :D )

Reactions: Matt Wildcat
Hey Millie, that was great! If the notes don't ring long enough it might be that your left and right hand are slightly out of synch. Best thing to do against that is going even slower again until you got that lick perfectly at low speed and it's in your muscle memory. Where you rest your guitar is up to you, although you might wanna start holding the guitar "properly" as soon as possible just so you get comfortable with it. Also practice standing up if you can! (This will suck A LOT in the beginning :D )
Thank you Dominik! I'll slow it down and give it some more good run throughs! Normally I rest my guitar on my right leg, but I chose to rest it on my left just because I was having a lot of trouble reaching the top strings, and it gave a bit more room to move. I think I've only ever stood up a few times to play, and that was during performances.. think I might have to try get into the habit now! :)

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
J
It is not bad all that you rest the guitar on your left leg. There's a lot of guitarists that do it and I am one of them! I am so proud of you for doing the lessons and our teachers are going to be just as excited as I am. My only concern is that I've already mentioned this in another one of my comments to you today. But really work on that right hand. Because of how your fingers are fanned out like that, you are bending your wrist backwards so that Your fingers don't accidentally touched the strings. You want your rest to be completely in alignment with your arm. I am so proud of you!

• Love
It is not bad all that you rest the guitar on your left leg. There's a lot of guitarists that do it and I am one of them! I am so proud of you for doing the lessons and our teachers are going to be just as excited as I am. My only concern is that I've already mentioned this in another one of my comments to you today. But really work on that right hand. Because of how your fingers are fanned out like that, you are bending your wrist backwards so that Your fingers don't accidentally touched the strings. You want your rest to be completely in alignment with your arm. I am so proud of you!
Thank you!! It's certainly a bit of relief to know I'm not the only one who does it, typically I try stick to the right leg, but then it doesn't really matter too much once I start standing up 😂 Honestly, the lessons are great, I never thought I'd be able to play stuff like this! Ahhh, that explains it! So, would I still be able to have my fingers pointed out a little so long as my wrist is straight? Again, thank you!

• Love
Reactions: Jak Angelescu
J
Thank you!! It's certainly a bit of relief to know I'm not the only one who does it, typically I try stick to the right leg, but then it doesn't really matter too much once I start standing up 😂 Honestly, the lessons are great, I never thought I'd be able to play stuff like this! Ahhh, that explains it! So, would I still be able to have my fingers pointed out a little so long as my wrist is straight? Again, thank you!
Yes! And I'm so sorry I speak into my phone so it said rest instead of wrist. I am so glad that you caught the difference lol! Especially not letting it confuse you. Yes, I have seen many different guitarists hold their rhythm hands and many different ways and they let their fingers do many different things. The biggest thing to focus on is to let your wrist be in alignment with your forearm and not let it pull back

• Love
Yes! And I'm so sorry I speak into my phone so it said rest instead of wrist. I am so glad that you caught the difference lol! Especially not letting it confuse you. Yes, I have seen many different guitarists hold their rhythm hands and many different ways and they let their fingers do many different things. The biggest thing to focus on is to let your wrist be in alignment with your forearm and not let it pull back
No worries, it happens! I'll make sure I work on improving on this! Thank you so much for your advice!

• Love
Reactions: Jak Angelescu

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
Matt Wildcat
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings