• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Dominik Gräber

new picking exercise / help with muting?

Been practicing a new technique which goes down-down-down-up-down. Got that one from Matt Heafy from one of his streams. But I get a lot of unwanted string noise. Maybe @Jak Angelescu or @Ed Seith know what's going on?? I'm normally really cautious about my muting but something isn't right!
J
To me it sounds like your higher strings are ringing out. The left hand is responsible for muting just as much as a right hand is. Normally I let some part of the fleshy part of my fretting index finger mute the strings I'm not playing

I think I know where you're going and I think I see the problem. The index (first) finger on your fretting hand can and should be used to gently mute the higher/thinner strings. Having that arched finger and using the fingertip is good for certain techniques, but when you want to mute out that noise, you have to relax that finger a little more and let it touch and mute those higher strings. Does that answer your need?

• Love
Reactions: Dominik Gräber
You guys are so quick! Thanks @Ed Seith and @Jak Angelescu ! Totally makes sense! That explains why lots of my playing is muted well while some just aren't. The upper strings are ringing out because my left hand is in a position where it can't mute the strings. I will try it out tomorrow and see where this takes me!

Reactions: Ed Seith
it sounds like your right hand is brushing off on the open strings when you lift it off to unmute. a few things I'd suggest you try: mute the top strings with your left hand by relaxing your hand and gently letting your fingers rest on them; for the right hand, I personally like to curl up my fingers into sort of a fist because its easier to keep them together in order to keep them from "flailing" around too much... you don't necessarily need to do curl them, but experiment which way feels more comfortable to keep your RH fingers together and figure out what works best for you. sometimes changing the angle of your wrist helps too. keep it up!

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
it sounds like your right hand is brushing off on the open strings when you lift it off to unmute. a few things I'd suggest you try: mute the top strings with your left hand by relaxing your hand and gently letting your fingers rest on them; for the right hand, I personally like to curl up my fingers into sort of a fist because its easier to keep them together in order to keep them from "flailing" around too much... you don't necessarily need to do curl them, but experiment which way feels more comfortable to keep your RH fingers together and figure out what works best for you. sometimes changing the angle of your wrist helps too. keep it up!
Thanks, that helped! I'll try it out tomorrow!

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
Dominik Gräber
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media