• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Dominik Gräber

SGS Lesson 31 - Jak's Advice on my Blues Improv

Hope this is what you ment @Jak Angelescu . I first played the chords, then soloed "over" it. Only that I played an Am instead of a C. Also my dumb ass played an F pentatonic over the G chord. Oh well...
J
YES👏👏👏👏
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. I'm gonna pick at you though. You've got the groove. You got the style and swag. You know how to play WELL. But think about what you did. What were your chords you used? What was your progression? What was your key?
This is all imperative because if you are doing it out of C major, it looked like you played the A shape of a B major, and in the key of C major the B is a half diminished chord. You also played the D shape of E major, and in the key of C major, it's E minor.
You also said in your text, you accidentally played an F pentatonic. Was it an F minor or F major pentatonic?

I'm NOT coming down on you. You totally nailed what I asked for. Now I'm giving you the next step. Give me a little breakdown in what you did and what you chose to use.
GREAT.... FUCKING.... JOB👏👏👏🤘🤘🤘🎸🎸🎸

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
YES👏👏👏👏
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. I'm gonna pick at you though. You've got the groove. You got the style and swag. You know how to play WELL. But think about what you did. What were your chords you used? What was your progression? What was your key?
This is all imperative because if you are doing it out of C major, it looked like you played the A shape of a B major, and in the key of C major the B is a half diminished chord. You also played the D shape of E major, and in the key of C major, it's E minor.
You also said in your text, you accidentally played an F pentatonic. Was it an F minor or F major pentatonic?

I'm NOT coming down on you. You totally nailed what I asked for. Now I'm giving you the next step. Give me a little breakdown in what you did and what you chose to use.
GREAT.... FUCKING.... JOB👏👏👏🤘🤘🤘🎸🎸🎸
Okay, Here we Go.
This is basicly still on lesson 31, so Goal should be playing D-C-G-F. So I start with playing D in the A shape. After that I strayed a little from the progression because I played an A minor. As this is the relative minor of C that still fits. It's basicly an A in the E shape but making the C# a C I think? Okay, after that I Play a G in the E Shape. However, I then went on to Play an F Major / D minor pentatonic scale over it, because I got that confused. After that I finished, basicly leaving Out the F, which I would have played as an E Shape First fret. Hope that all makes sense and I got everything right. 🤘

Reactions: Jak Angelescu
So, I have no idea what jak and you are talking about 🤣

but I just wanted to say I really liked this. It was bluesy yet still “Dominik” with that heavy tone.❤️

• Love
Reactions: Dominik Gräber
J
Okay, Here we Go.
This is basicly still on lesson 31, so Goal should be playing D-C-G-F. So I start with playing D in the A shape. After that I strayed a little from the progression because I played an A minor. As this is the relative minor of C that still fits. It's basicly an A in the E shape but making the C# a C I think? Okay, after that I Play a G in the E Shape. However, I then went on to Play an F Major / D minor pentatonic scale over it, because I got that confused. After that I finished, basicly leaving Out the F, which I would have played as an E Shape First fret. Hope that all makes sense and I got everything right. 🤘
At 6 seconds in, when you are playing the A shape you have an F#, a B, and a D# that you are playing. That's a B major chord. You can also think of it like this. You are essentially playing a double barre on the 2nd fret which is a B chord. You just aren't barring to get the low B root note in there.🙂 It's essentially an inversion what you are playing. A D major chord with an A shape is starting on the 5th fret with a barre. So your ring finger would be smashing down to form the a shape on the 7th fret.
And then at 7 seconds you play a D shape starting on the 4th fret. That's an inverted E major.
This is actually really good for Me Too! Because this is helping me put everything I've learned to see if I can figure things out. I could be wrong but I'm glad we can have this discussion. Where are you playing an F chord? Can you give me a time stamp?

At 6 seconds in, when you are playing the A shape you have an F#, a B, and a D# that you are playing. That's a B major chord. You can also think of it like this. You are essentially playing a double barre on the 2nd fret which is a B chord. You just aren't barring to get the low B root note in there.🙂 It's essentially an inversion what you are playing. A D major chord with an A shape is starting on the 5th fret with a barre. So your ring finger would be smashing down to form the a shape on the 7th fret.
And then at 7 seconds you play a D shape starting on the 4th fret. That's an inverted E major.
This is actually really good for Me Too! Because this is helping me put everything I've learned to see if I can figure things out. I could be wrong but I'm glad we can have this discussion. Where are you playing an F chord? Can you give me a time stamp?
Okay I'm totally Out. Where is the B? I am Not even touching the second fret in this 😅 playing the A shape starting on the fifth fret as I do gives me a D. That's what I want to start with.
I don't Play an F, I would have next If I hadn't messed Up 🙂

Reactions: Jak Angelescu
J
Okay I'm totally Out. Where is the B? I am Not even touching the second fret in this 😅 playing the A shape starting on the fifth fret as I do gives me a D. That's what I want to start with.
I don't Play an F, I would have next If I hadn't messed Up 🙂
I know you are not touching the 2nd fret in this 🙂 but at 6 seconds in when you barre with an A shape across the 4th fret the notes that you are playing make a B major chord. If you were to play a B major double barre chord on the 2nd fret, your ring finger would be smashed across the 4th fret in the same exact shape that it's in. 🙂 What I was trying to say is that you are essentially playing a B major chord without the barre. But like I said I could be wrong I'm just going to wait until Ids can come on and clarify things for me

Jak is actually correct! There's definetely A B in there, it kinda comes off as like a bit of a color chord if you will because you play it very short and not ready dwell on it too much before you play an E.

That B is an inversion, you could for example write it like B/F#, It's the second inversion if B with the fifth in the base. John Mayer for example uses first inversions a lot. I would recommend learning them because they can give a lot of color.

As far as you playing goes, it's sounds pretty nice. I would advice to maybe play it a bit less scaly if you will but maybe that's a next step somewhere.

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
Dominik Gräber
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media