• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Chris Johnston

How to play over a Minor 2-5-1 using only Major Arpeggios (quick tip)

Here's a quick Minor 2-5-1 hack that I like to use, for all the jazz guys on here

You basically play a Major arpeggio from the b5 of the ii chord, the b5 of the V chord, and the b7 of the i chord.

Enjoy!
Reactions: Anthony Peña
pretty chords! i'm a bit out of it right now so i didn't really listen to the words. is that an irish accent? oh and are you playing drop d?

I wish I could take credit for the chords haha! I'm actually playing along to this backing track from youtube:
It's actually a Scottish accent you're hearing 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 and I'm playing in Standard Tuning for this video

ahh scottish still cool, I enjoy hearing people speak english for some reason. I like all the different accents people have it's so cool. I need to learn what stuff like 2-5-1 means I've seen and heard people talk about it many times....

Me too man! I'm such a big fan of the Irish and English accent - I feel as if the Scottish accent just sounds really flat compared to them :LOL: 2-5-1 is just a shortened way of saying the 2nd chord, 5th chord, and 1st chord in a Key.

The Key of A minor is: 1. A minor 2. Bm7b5 3. C Major 4.D minor 5. E minor 6. F major 7. G7

Minor 2-5-1's are a bit funny though, because they kinda contradict what should happen with the 5th chord of the key - It should be a Minor chord - but people tend to use a Dominant 7th chord because it sounds better.

I just like hearing people talk English. Could be like English as a 2nd or 3rd language, I like the diversity.
I've been taking in theory little by little over the years. What I got from this is I know how to name notes on the fretboard. I need to practice naming them and I need to learn what chords are in each key (hopefully there aren't many keys :S) and sorry I don't know how to respond to the last part of your message. I'm going to work on something now Bye!

Notes on the fretboard are definitely great things to start with! - There are 12 Keys in total, so not that many haha. Absolutely no need to apologize man :) Good luck!

Media information

Category
Tutorials
Added by
Chris Johnston
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media