• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Dominik Gräber

Gojira - Silvera, MetalMinute with new guitar

Dressed for the SGS Legens Stream? Check
New guitar? Check
Having lots of fun with this one. Sloppy playing as always.
Nice job Dom! It won't take long to tighten that up. That's one of my go to riffs when I start out the day! A couple of things I'd like to say, 1. That's an awesome looking guitar! I was just looking at those a couple of weeks ago and was curious how you're liking it so far. 2. Tone wise it sounds like you need a little bit more gain which will help tighten up the tone a bit more. I was REALLY surprised how much gain Joe uses especially since he uses 5150's. 3. Every time I'd play the tapping part I'd be confused how Joe could bend a note with his right hand as (I'm not sure what word to use to describe it. Wildly? Energetically? Fast anyway.) Until I watched the Red Rocks 2017 show for probably the dozenth time when I noticed something. On the note that he does that bend with he actually bends with his left hand somewhere between the 10-13th fret. That makes it sound better. It's easier to play. As well as leaving your right hand open for the next string of notes to tap. Anyway, nice job dude! Silvera's one of my favorite riffs to play.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
Nice job Dom! It won't take long to tighten that up. That's one of my go to riffs when I start out the day! A couple of things I'd like to say, 1. That's an awesome looking guitar! I was just looking at those a couple of weeks ago and was curious how you're liking it so far. 2. Tone wise it sounds like you need a little bit more gain which will help tighten up the tone a bit more. I was REALLY surprised how much gain Joe uses especially since he uses 5150's. 3. Every time I'd play the tapping part I'd be confused how Joe could bend a note with his right hand as (I'm not sure what word to use to describe it. Wildly? Energetically? Fast anyway.) Until I watched the Red Rocks 2017 show for probably the dozenth time when I noticed something. On the note that he does that bend with he actually bends with his left hand somewhere between the 10-13th fret. That makes it sound better. It's easier to play. As well as leaving your right hand open for the next string of notes to tap. Anyway, nice job dude! Silvera's one of my favorite riffs to play.
The guitar really is sweet, innit?
Funny thing, I gave you almost all the gain I had. lol. These no name pickups are not very high output. Fishman Fluence gonna resolve that soon. However, a lot of tightness comes from perfectly aligned bass and drums too.
And can you foreward me that video? Would love to see that too. Gotta say that tapping gave me trouble to sound good but I assumed that was because that strings are freaking hard. Again, no name strings too, wanna restring it when the new pickups are built in.

Reactions: Donovan Etue
Wow, I figured you were dialing back the gain to get more clarity, Fishman's will certainly resolve it haha. In the video you'll see Christian and Joe keeping their left hand/index finger on/around the 12th fret. At 9:47 they go switch to camera that's sitting in the crowd. For maybe a second to a second and a half you'll see Joe wiggling his left hand to bend the note behind the actual played note. I didn't know this would work haha. Here's Red Rocks.
and here's a better angle from Hellfest 2016 that I just found that's even easier to see starting at 0:22

Super heavy strings certainly don't help but using the left hand is just plain easier. I initially learned the riff on my guitar which was equipped with 12-56 gauge strings and any bending on that low d kind of sucked to play with ease. Looking forward to hearing the guitar with new pickups/strings on it. Other than those factors, how are you liking it so far?

Wow, I figured you were dialing back the gain to get more clarity, Fishman's will certainly resolve it haha. In the video you'll see Christian and Joe keeping their left hand/index finger on/around the 12th fret. At 9:47 they go switch to camera that's sitting in the crowd. For maybe a second to a second and a half you'll see Joe wiggling his left hand to bend the note behind the actual played note. I didn't know this would work haha. Here's Red Rocks.
and here's a better angle from Hellfest 2016 that I just found that's even easier to see starting at 0:22

Super heavy strings certainly don't help but using the left hand is just plain easier. I initially learned the riff on my guitar which was equipped with 12-56 gauge strings and any bending on that low d kind of sucked to play with ease. Looking forward to hearing the guitar with new pickups/strings on it. Other than those factors, how are you liking it so far?
Gonna check them out some time! Bed time for now
Oh the strings are fairly light, maybe standard. However they have a lot of tension on the guitar. Not sure yet if cheap or if that's just the headless.
I really dig the guitar. Glad I found something more or less cheap I really like cause I am not too afraid of modding it. The fretboard is really hard but shiny and smooth, only the frets are a bit low so you have lots of fretboard contact which isn't the greatest for bends. However this thing has a great unique resonance to it in a very good way. Can't wait to see what new strings and pickups do to this beast.

Reactions: Donovan Etue

Oh yeah, now I see it. Gotta try it out although I imagine it doesn't make much difference which hand you use for the vibrato.

Oh yeah, now I see it. Gotta try it out although I imagine it doesn't make much difference which hand you use for the vibrato.
It in my opinion makes a night and day difference in sound quality, accurate bends, and ease of play! I'd forgotten that I bend notes with 1-2 fingers behind the fretted note as well for additional power. Same method used here except it is several frets further away and it's a tapped note. I wish I had one of those Whammy pedals to play the song the way it is on the record.

Last edited:

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
Dominik Gräber
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings