• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
idssdi

Layla - Analysis

I finally got time to do this one which also means I get to do two in one weekend. I also had two beers before filming this so I may go a little bit more into details than I usually do

Timestamps:
0:00 demonstration
0:55 intro/chorus
5:45 cadence/key change lesson
8:00 verse
10:30 pre chorus/sub-dominant chord lesson
14:44 outro
This is awesome. I love watching analyses of songs. Thanks for sharing these with everyone!

I do have one question (which means I probably will break off into ten questions):
I'm studying music theory in college right now, and I've learned a lot about how harmony commonly works.
But how do you personally go about more complex progressions, such as your analysis of Roman Sky? I knew that song had some insane stuff going on, but you were able to pinpoint exactly what that insanity was.

Do you just listen to it over and over, and mess around on the fretboard until you figure it out? Or have you developed your ear to just hear all of the changes??

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: idssdi
This is awesome. I love watching analyses of songs. Thanks for sharing these with everyone!

I do have one question (which means I probably will break off into ten questions):
I'm studying music theory in college right now, and I've learned a lot about how harmony commonly works.
But how do you personally go about more complex progressions, such as your analysis of Roman Sky? I knew that song had some insane stuff going on, but you were able to pinpoint exactly what that insanity was.

Do you just listen to it over and over, and mess around on the fretboard until you figure it out? Or have you developed your ear to just hear all of the changes??

Thanks in advance.
Basically what I do is I learn the chord progression a for all the different parts and actually learn the chord names. When I know the chord progression I look for the changes that resolve tension and those are the ones I focus on, Sometimes they are a bit harder to find but that kinda makes it more interesting too.

I also try to keep it simple as much as I can.

Reactions: Anthony Peña
Basically what I do is I learn the chord progression a for all the different parts and actually learn the chord names. When I know the chord progression I look for the changes that resolve tension and those are the ones I focus on, Sometimes they are a bit harder to find but that kinda makes it more interesting too.

I also try to keep it simple as much as I can.
Ah, that makes sense! I'm gonna start doing that, I want to develop my ear. Thanks man!

Reactions: idssdi

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
idssdi
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media