• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
C

RollOver

I finished remixing final touches to my songs. I used some feedback from my songs to tweak some stuff to make other things easier to hear. Shifted some pans around. I'm pretty happy with the turn out. I'm going to be uploading the results to spotify and whatnot for Jan 2022. Refer to comments to song details.
Reactions: William B.
A great intro to a set of songs that are really unpredictable and take you in directions you wouldn't think. This song is a C lorcian/ A minor sharp 4 progression. The organ plays both chords to start. As the song gets further in the chords turn into your usual power chords but the lead stays playing the organ progression. I tried my best to make the lead and vocals as clear as possible. I may have too many vocal layers there.

Song then takes a dark turn as I break it down a little before the punk chorus which builds right into a solo before returning to the dark break down. I did not like this song at first, but after editing the vocals it grows on me. One of the first songs where I mapped out the vocal melody BEFORE even recording it. Infact, I played it as strings on the piano. I hear a huge AIC Jerry Cantrell influence in this area. The vocal layers didn't sound that big but then again they weren't meant to stand out that much.

Anywho, gonna do some run downs and post them on instagram of this album.. I may share a couple here depending on how they are received.

Reactions: William B.
There's a lot of interesting parts in here, but it's hard to follow in parts because sections of the vocal are (as you said) maybe layered a bit too much to be clear and interestingly, it's THOSE parts that sound not quite loud enough in the mix, so maybe if you pulled ONE of those voices to the top and brought it up a little, and left everything else to support it underneath, that would work.

Also, going to give you the kind of advice that a LOT of bands get once in the studio with long songs - trim down some of your ideas and make the whole song a bit more concise. Not a criticism, just a "fine-tuning" suggestion. There's some cool lead playing in there too, and I like your tones.

There's a lot of interesting parts in here, but it's hard to follow in parts because sections of the vocal are (as you said) maybe layered a bit too much to be clear and interestingly, it's THOSE parts that sound not quite loud enough in the mix, so maybe if you pulled ONE of those voices to the top and brought it up a little, and left everything else to support it underneath, that would work.

Also, going to give you the kind of advice that a LOT of bands get once in the studio with long songs - trim down some of your ideas and make the whole song a bit more concise. Not a criticism, just a "fine-tuning" suggestion. There's some cool lead playing in there too, and I like your tones.
There is also reverb on the vocals so its possible that is effecting it too. I'm gonna be honest I do try to cut.my.songs shorter.. most are around 4 to 5.. this one is longer mostly cause of the intro. The beginning is a hog reason why I had a hard..time accepting this song. But as I said once or gets to the chorus I really start to enjoy the song. I kept it as the opening song of the setlist for that reason.. get it out of the way right away.. altho you also want a strong opening song. It's tough but I also dont want to scrap it .. I'll most likely never play it again honestly. The keyboard intro is also probably a tad too long. I wanted to add a string thing.overtop it but it came off too overdone for me.

The lead is my favourite part and I tried my best to make it stand out over the layered vocals. I think its the best I'll get it for now. I DID bring the layered scream part up to.hear.over the clean.. maybe of I didnt have the reverb on it itd work better. I'll have to remember for next time.

Thank you for saying my tone is better. I spent some time reworking my tone and I'm pretty happy with it now. I still use the same lead tone I always did. Just used the bridge pick up a lot more then before here. All the lead comes off in the chord progression off the start. (C locrian and a minor sharp 4). It was my first real attempt at playing a mode over top the power chords. And I really like the sound of it honestly.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
Calvin Phillips
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media