• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Synner Official Website

Anthony Peña
Hey Jaxon! Personally, I don't necessarily think that any given chords are essential, as much as knowing chord SHAPES are.

There's a lesson on here called "the CAGED system", and it takes you through the campfire chords, but shows you how to play them all over the entire fretboard. Trust me, this is going to blow your mind. Memorize these shapes, and then learn the names of every one:

For ex: if you play the normal G chord, well, you're playing a G major. If you play the same G shape, but up two frets, you're playing the A major chord. This sounds much more complex in writing than it actually is. Hope I don't confuse you.
Anthony Peña
After learning the CAGED system, I would say knowing how to play seventh chords are essential as well. If you look up "how to play seventh chords" you'll find dozens of usually good videos explaining them.

So what I'm really trying to say is, it's more important to know how to play chord shapes first, and get them under your fingers. Once you're familiar with them, it's a good idea to learn the music theory of them (the intervals that make them up). Knowing these things will make learning most songs by ear a breeze.
Nocturne
Well I'd say the most essentials are the campfire chords and power chords. With that you can do most of the stuff like picking up by hear, improvise a basic rhythm part, come up with riffs and stuff like that. For the rest of the chords I think it really depends on your musical influences and the styles you want to play.