• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Afterlife solo

J

Jak Angelescu

It is hours, days, weeks, months, and YEARS of practice. Practice, practice and more practice Here’s the thing, these little “secrets” that we want to know so we can improve better, all come to us when we practice more. We make our own discoveries like “Oh wow, I’m going to try having less pick exposed because it seems I’m playing FASTER when I try that!”
Tips that work for me may not work for you And that’s okay! But there are some things that you could DEFINITELY work on to help you out.
1. Syn slides A LOT in his solos. I would make one of my warm-up practice techniques something like practicing scale sequences and at the last note slide up to the highest octave of the note on the final scale. It’ll help you with slide control and target practice
2. As I listen to it, I can say definitely that speed picking/tremolo picking is going to be HUGE. I would suggest speed picking your scales as well. There are a FUCK load of 32nd notes and even fast triplets/sixlets in there. Make sure you have a metronome where you know how to count out those notations so you can practice getting your shred on time.
3. Practice your sweeps. There are a lot of techniques in this solo and sweeps are a main feature for sure. If I could suggest anything with your sweep practicing, get comfortable with what you’re suppose to be doing by looking at your hands and after a while, stop looking at your hands. The reason why is because when you look at your hands, sometimes you force your brain to try to “control” every single thought process of your muscle movement. I mean try this out. Wiggle your fingers as FAST as you can. You don’t think about it, do you? You just do it! Now try wiggling your fingers as fast as you can and say out loud “Middle finger now pinky now index now ring and do the index twice”. I mean wow. You just can’t do it as fast. It’s too much for the brain to process! You will really have to trust your fingers with muscle memory.
4. Legato work. Do practice exercises with LOTS of legato because it is done here. And the stronger your fingers are, the easier this solo will be to play.
5. Learn the easier parts of the solo first. And afterwards, practice the harder spots SLOWLY. And then practice your easier parts at THAT SAME TEMPO so that you don’t have a freak out, choke up moment right before the difficult parts. You’ll make it smooth and seamless for your transitions.
6. DON’T RUSH YOUR PROGRESS. Do calm, focused and steady practice. Even if it takes you a year to do it, keep working at it daily because it’s only going to make you better.
7. Relax the wrist and feel how you want to accomplish your speed picking. Some people choose more of a whole forearm approach and some people prefer wrist movement.
8. Upload your progress videos here! It’ll help us see how you’re doing, inspire others who are wanting to learn it (and feel too scared to do it) and we can give you tips if you feel you need them
HAPPY SHREDDING!