• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

AMA

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I've been reading your comments on here for over a year now and I've learned a bit about your current influences and what you've been working on technique/song/theory wise but I don't think I have seen you mention what/who got you to pick up guitar. Also what were some early milestones that motivated you to improve your playing? Maybe a favorite riff/lick that you had listened to for a while and wished you could play. Hope your day is going well Ids!

Jacques

• Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    Waddup!! Im always fascinated with how people have their floyd rose trem's set up. How do you have your Schecter Avenger trem set up? Any tremsetter or blocking? Also what type of springs and how many?

jc pare

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Waddup!! Im always fascinated with how people have their floyd rose trem's set up. How do you have your Schecter Avenger trem set up? Any tremsetter or blocking? Also what type of springs and how many?
    I have lots of guitars with different floating trem system, including a syn custom. Rule no1 with floating systems is parallel to the body. If it's not then you can adjust it with the screws in the back of the guitar body. Tune your guitar, check out the angle of the trem, if its not parallel, adjust with the two screws (at the same time so both sides are at the same level) then repeat until you find the sweet spot. Another advice would be to not rush it. it's a pain at first but when you get it it's really easy and pretty basic. gl!

Jacques

• Nov 29, 2019
    IL

Cant agree with you more my friend! I guess my question was more related to what you have "under the hood" of your guitar. If you flip your guitar over and remove the cover plate to expose the trem block and springs...do you have a tremsetter installed or any other trem stabilizing device? If not how many springs do you have and what type?

I just removed my hipshot tremsetter, now currently only have (2) floyd rose black noiseless springs.

I've always been a firm believer in the hipshot 401000 tremsetter, it works excellent with ensured tuning stability, unwanted dropping pitch with unison bends or full step bends, and fluttering etc.

I'm not bashing on the tremsetter cause IT is simply doing its job as intended, however i could always feel the "zero" or resting position when playing light vibrato or harmonic squeals. Its always bugged me cause i notice its there everytime and it seems to take away from the possibility to do freaking sweet tremolo stuff like Syn does! (A good example would be when Avenged played "Nightmare" atop the Capital Records building, after "its your fucking nightmareeeee" he goes wild on it!!!!)

With all this being said I just hope i don't run into problems with tuning stability. I can adapt to playing differently, such as bending a little bit more since the bridge will dive more with a bend. And i also realize that part of my problem with the inability to mimic Syns tremolo tricks is the absence of the sustaniac pickup too, im sure that beast plays a big role!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    It's a bit rambling but here you go

Here you go