• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Any tips on punk songwriting?

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
Hi, what's up , i would recomend you to listen to bands like NoFX , Dropkick muprhy, Green Day, Blink 182, Sum 41 and the one and only Sex Pistols, then learn their songs or at least your favorite songs from that bands, then learn theory, and discover in what key are those songs then look out for the chord progressions that they are using on the chorus and verses, then try to apply that chord progessions to your own melodies or riffs, that's kinda the art of writting, taking something you like from one band or many bands and incorporate it to YOUR OWN way of playing but changing it to create something new, because if you only rip off chord progressions you will be copying them, so the thing here is to know what chord progressions define the genre and then adding your own ideas to it to see what it sounds like. i hope this is useful for you!

Cody Dusenberry

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
If you are looking to do drums, then I'd say that having 8th note hi-hats along with a snare backbeat played on the upbeat could sound fitting for punk. A good example of what the snare on the upbeat would sound like is in Pierce the Veil's "Bulls In The Bronx", specifically after the intro of song.

Firsty Lasty

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
The best thing to learn is the DIY attitude. Look at NoFX, imo the best punk band ever- a lot of their songs were obviously written just with the basic g c d em chords, and I suspect those were simply the chords that the songwriter/bassist knew how to play on his shitty guitar. Just that basic knowledge and the right attitude, the attitude of not looking for excuses to fail, is what made the magic happen.

For more specific advice, strongly consider investing some time into studying the blues. To my ears that seems to be the difference between bad punk rock and good punk rock- the ability to add that flavor to the music.

Reactions: Ed Seith