• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Axe FX 3 Tones

Nick Kay

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I got an Axe FX 3 a few months ago and I still can't really make it sound like anything good at all
I'm guessing the reason is because the Cabinet block (where the impulse responses are loaded) is where the bulk of the sound actually happens and I don't really know where to start with that, I mean I have purchased some commercial IRs but they still don't really sound like what I'm going for...

Did Syn ever release any official presets for the Axe FX 3?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    No presets, but there are cab packs, including his Hellwin and Bogner cabs, as well as his isolated cabinet used for live shows.

I would not say the bulk of the tone comes from the cabinet in the AxeFX any more than in a traditional amp and speaker setup. The 5153 Red is what is believed to be what his AxeFX tone is based off of, so you could start from there. If you don't want to purchase one of the Syn cab packs, you can try any 4x12 cabinet loaded with Celestion V30s and tweak to taste. If you PM me your email, I can send you some of my AxeFX2XL+ tones that you can work with, knowing they will sound a little different, and you'd still have to choose a cabinet, since I do have Syn's cab packs.