• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Best metal guitarists of the year?

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I personally dont see why they were picked.

I also didnt listen to their album.

Reactions: Autumn

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
The issue i have is slipknot has so many cliche riffs. I've never been a fan. Some bands I get out of. Some I'm out of til i realize why they are amazing. Slipknot i just cant get into. There are way better guitarist then them. But in all of metal right now? Everyone in general? This wasnt an album release vote it was a straight fan vote I think. The bands popular so it makes sense.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
To be fair, the reason why their riifs may seem cliche is because all the bands that started copying them after they came out, which is half the modern metal scene. Plus, Slipknot is more about the whole vibe of the songs, not just riffs you pick apart. No one manages to do that sound as good as them, and the new album is a testament to that.

Reactions: Lindsey

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I'm not saying they arent popular. Not taking their respect away but I do agree with you. You stand out people will copy you.

I agree on the vibe thing too. I always thought of them as the r n b or metal so to speak. Having 9 members in the band kind of also made me point in that route. It's definitely more a show then anything for them.

Reactions: Daniel Sobota

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Mick and Jim are certainly great players, but I feel like they peaked on Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses. Most of what they do since is... Different. Which, I suppose is good, but I just really don't consider Slipknot to be a "guitar band," outside of Vol 3. Most of what I find appealing in Slipknot (again, outside of Vol 3) is the vocals and especially the percussion/drumming. The guitars really don't stand out or interest me much.

I do think Mark Tremonti has probably delivered the most original material this decade, and a LOT of it is really engaging and enjoyable, so I can see that choice. Of course, Syn goes without saying, and the influence this school could have on the future of heavy guitar can't be understated, either, as a bonus to all of his great writing, playing and soloing this decade.

Reactions: idssdi

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    I disagree about Slipknot... Vol. 3 is great, but Iowa is next level. But man, talk about pure fucking hatred and venom being spilled all over a record. It's more of an art piece than a collection of songs to listen to for fun, you really have to be into that kind of stuff to fully appreciate it (similarly to black metal). It's not for everyone, but people that do get it absolutely love it.

As for Syn, this poll was about guitarists that were musically active in 2019, so that's why he wasn't in the poll. Otherwise he (and Zacky too) would get this, as they did few years back already.

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Hey, Dan, are you into Power Metal by any chance? Just wondering.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com

I should say they peaked from a GUITAR perspective on Vol 3. As I said, I do like a lot of the Knot from across their career, but I don't look at it as "guitar music." From your comments, I don't think you do either. That's not a BAD THING - Billy Joel is GOD and he's a piano player.

Reactions: Daniel Sobota

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Yeah, I kinda misread your comment and got the idea that you appreciate Vol. 3 more than the other albums because it's more guitar oriented. I should have read it more carefully before replying lol.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019

I didnt see where it said it was the active for 2019. I just read it was a fan vote. Either way it's the fans right.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I think it's also important what the criteria are. I mean come on, Jim and Mick just can't be any MORE metal than they are. They certainly are not the best guitarists when talking about skill and shredding (at least not on the Slipknot record) but when it comes to show and image they might be way up there.

Totally agree with @Ed Seith about the guitars in Slipknot songs. They are there, but especially in later records really not as important.
    @Daniel Sobota I personally don't like much off Iowa, or early Slipknot in general. I sometimes can listen to them but not always. It's like you said - not for everyone. And while they excell at recording pure aggression I think they lack good rhythm and musicality in their early work.

Reactions: Ed Seith