• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Building speed

G

High E workout – Use chromatic work outs to work both hands!
E|-1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5-3-4-5-6-4-5-6-7-|
then;
E|-8-7-6-5-7-6-5-4-6-5-4-3-5-4-3-2-|
Another;
E|-1-3-2-4-2-4-3-5-3-5-4-6-4-6-5-7-|
then;
E|-8-6-7-5-7-5-6-4-6-4-5-3-5-3-4-2-|
Finger per fret! I’d give more exercises but for some reason my comments screen dislikes tablature! haha

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
What Ids said is good advice. Syns Etudes are a great place to start BUT YOU HAVE to go slow at first and build speed…Like turtle slow speed. And then gradually increase the BPM on your metronome and that will help. It’s all muscle memory when you start getting into shredding and you have to work every muscle fiber in all 4 of your fingers. And you do this by starting out SUPER slow. Hope this helps!

J

Jak Angelescu

I believe strength=speed. The stronger your fingers are, the faster they’ll be able to go. But it’s completely pointless if your picking hand isn’t up to par and coordinated with your fretting hand. I’m finally making my finger exercise video tonight that contains exercises that will help with strength, coordination, accuracy and dexterity.
But here’s a thought to keep in mind:
It’s not all about increasing the speed as much as it is muscle memory. When I was struggling with increasing speed I actually noticed that the longer I played it for a slower durations, next thing I knew I was able to increase my speed and no time. For example: If you increase the BPM by one every single time you get it right, before you know it you are straining your hand and racing against the metronome. Practicing speed requires relaxation and confidence. Also your right hand has to change its method with how it approaches it. How you pick sixlets at 130 BPM is not the same as what you do with 8 notes at 90 BPM. So what I would suggest is play what you are trying to play consistently for a half an hour everyday at a very slow tempo WITH NO AMP. And then after a couple of days challenge Yourself by increasing the bpm by 20. This way you have the muscle memory and the strength built and then when you go to challenge yourself, your right hand will have to teach itself how to handle faster picking. You will slop it at first for a good while. But after a few tries your picking hand will start to realize what your right hand has to do to pick that fast. I hope this helps

Synner Endless Summer Collection
J

Jak Angelescu

@matt I have learned personally that a lot of guitar players fake their way through speed by hiding behind their amp. Their amp has a projected sound and can make things sound Fuller and more sustained then playing naturally or Raw. When you play without your amp, you are more prone to feeling mistakes rather than just hearing them. A lot of problems with proper finger pressure can be pinpointed when removing Amplified sound. Also hand to hand coordination comes through very strongly:) it basically is just to ensure that you can actually play what you’re playing and not hiding behind your amp. And like I said, when you remove the sound of your amp you can pay attention to what your fingers feel like when they move and it helps you detect certain problems by sensation rather than just hearing

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
One that I like to do is a modified version of the 1234 drill.
With a metronome I do 1234 on the 6th string using 1/8 notes then a burst of 1234 on the 5th and 4th strings using 1/16 notes, I then move back to the 5th string and repeat the pattern.
After completing this pattern on 3rd, 2nd and 1st string combo I move up a fret and work my way through in the other direction.
I also like to mix up the pattern, 1324, 1423, etc.

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
wow. Lots of really great advice. I will just add one more thing. Speed is absolutely nothing without accuracy. To really build your accuracy along with speed, you can try an acoustic guitar first. Just for practising. Cuz acoustic guitar build your finger strength as Jak mentioned. Also, any mistake or mistiming will be easily detectable. I started with acoustic guitar and then applied whatever skill I had to electric ones. It really helped.

Charlie Erickson

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Something that I think helps is keeping your hands as relaxed as possible and getting rid of any unnecessary tension. Also trying to make the smallest movements possible like keeping your fingers close to the fretboard and keeping the pick close to the string. I’d also suggest practicing tremolo picking.

Josh Wright

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
If my right hand starts giving me trouble with being in sync I slow down and play everything very deliberately, I also everytime I practice I do a chromatic scale slow and then fast without an amp and make sure the notes ring out and are smooth.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Yeah, the videos in this school are honestly out of this world. There is a lot of material that you could just go through in the videos and speed up the metronome. Even if you already know it a refresher is never a bad idea. Always gotta stay on top of things while learning the new material as well right?