• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Do you guys ever have this?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
So I just had 6-7 beers(I don’t know how many it actually is so probably 7) and Tell me Baby came up. I learned how to play tell me Baby a long time ago but haven’t played fit since forever so I could not play it any more so I decided to relearn it. Have you guys ever had a moment similar to this?

Firsty Lasty

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
There have been plenty of times that I discovered that I had 0% memory of how to play something that I knew how to play in the past. What I started doing to resist this is stomping on 2 & 4 with my left foot (like a snare) when learning/practicing music because it feels like the trickiness of doing so forces me to learn things more deeply. This sounds like a small and unimportant detail, but the effect has been powerful. Of course I must give credit where it is due; I got the idea from Paul Gilbert, who recommends this to his students.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I’m gonna play the devils advocate here. You really never truly “forget” you just need to basically be routed or pushed into the right direction and usually you’ll remember how to play it half way through. I feel this happens to syn un his acoustic performance of so far away. He has to think for a split second how the finger work goes.. then he nails it. “Its real!” As he says in the song.
I think it’s more the patterns you gotta be reminded of. Your path may have changed though with theory knowledge.. may see better ways to play those same notes.. etc. But the sounds and patterns should come back to you..that is unless you changed up instruments.. etc.
I feel this way in life I’m general as oppose to just learning guitar. When people say they forget their martial arts..I tend to say the same thing. Same with school.in math.. science.once you’re familiar with it again it usually all comes back at once.