• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Does anybody use PRS guitars?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    PRS are kind of the Rolls Royce of major guitar manufacturers. I have a 30th anniversary core model, and it plays and sounds as amazing as it looks.
    But they are not for the budget-minded player. They are scary expensive.
    Their budget “SE” line are outstanding guitars with most of the same features, but without some of the pricier bits and custom things. The tops are laminates instead of true tops, and some of the electronics are lesser. However, they are an outstanding value in their price range. I do not think ANYONE could go wrong with a PRS.

Randy Petree

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I own one. It was 4k brand new I scored it for 3k.It had barely a scratch on it so it dropped the price a thousand. I originally had a trans ebony Gibson Les Paul Classic 60’s neck I paid scratch and dent price for at 1000. Loved my Gibson but I just couldn’t get used to the weight of it. They’re pretty heavy, I also wanted a tremolo and a fast neck. So I traded my Gibson in for the same price I bought it got 50 out of my small Marshall solid state amp. Got a loan from my 401k retirement for 3000 only had to pay 65 dollars back a week out of my check for a year. Back to my retirement plan. Plus the interest on the loan goes back into your own pocket. If you really want a nice guitar you are probably going to pay a bit for it at least a grand. I love my PRS it’s got the same finish my Gibson had. Charcoal ( black and grey grain ) it is a limited edition 30th anniversary Custom 24 with gold tuners and bridge ( double birds on the twelfth fret ) . The guitar rarely goes out of tune. It is a dream, the best 3 grand I ever spent. I took the grand from my Gibson and got a EVH 5150 III 2X12 COMBO amp it’s a monster. Not trying to push my videos on you but go to my profile and watch the video I posted. I run it on a clean channel and use a wah pedal and kick the distortion in towards the end. Might give you a little idea of what it sounds like. I’m still learning so it’s not like I can shred the fuck out, but I did some basic slides and power chord stuff with some hammer ons and pull offs. If you want a piece of art yopu will have to pay a little for it, but it is worth every penny. There are payment plans out there.

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I did a little sound test on mine. I used just ONE AMP setting, and got everything else with volume/tone and pickup switches. It’s not crazy playing, just some noodling, but it will give you an idea the range a good PRS can cover.

This is mine:
    https://i.imgur.com/ct1DhI8.jpg

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I don’t recall ever playing them but I heard PRS guitars are great! They are expensive though. Due to my love for the strat sound I would probably go for the silver sky but you probably can just check in their collection what you like. People like Santana and Tremonti use them too

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Wow!!! You both have great pieces of art as Randy called them!! And the sound quality is amazing. I looks like PRS are very versatile guitars.
    I was originally considering a Gibson les paul, because they are an icon, a piece of the history of rock, but I heard about PRS and I am not so sure anymore. I am falling in love with prs…
    In a few weeks I’ll be testing guitars and I guess it is gonna be a difficult choice….it is a big help to hear what you showed.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I have a Les Paul, as well. Great guitar. Much heavier than the PRS, and not as purty, but also a damn fine and versatile instrument. There’s a REASON the Les Paul is such an iconic rock guitar. though Gibson has definitely had some quality issues in recent years.

Jake Young

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    They are great!! They are pricy but worth every penny.. The quality is outstanding! I’ve played a few and owned a 2002 Tremonti model that I actually sold to Mark himself last year. I loved that guitar and basically learned to play guitar using it. But I bought it when I was a young beginner and had no idea guitars had different neck profiles lol it had the wide fat profile and as I advanced in my playing decided a thin c shape is more my thing. It kinda hurt a little to sell it..but the guitar was made for the man who wanted to buy it hah I kinda couldn’t say no!

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Jake, I’m impressed you sold your tremoni to tremonti himself!! Amazing!
    I’ve heard that the les pauls tend to go out of tune.
    Do prs stay in tune better?
    I definitely wish I could have both of them…but it is not gonna be possible at the moment unless I win the lotto or something… lol