• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Drop D tuning

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Drop D is typically not something that would require a setup or any major changes, it’s just a bitch with a floating bridge, and typically you want to keep a Floyd guitar in one tuning unless you modify the bridge (we can get into that later if you like). For now, unlock the locking screws at the nut (usually 3 allen screws holding three little plates over the six strings.
    then lower the low E string to D (down one whole step). From there, you will need to retune every string, probably several times, then lock the screws again, and fine tune at least twice more – just like when you restring.
    Bam. Drop D. Chug away.

Andrew Saunders

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Haha beginning with a floyd sucks! I have the synyster custom (what a great starter guitar lol). Adding to what Ed said and i can speak from experience, be aware of the bridge before you lock the nut again. The first time i retuned it was perfectly in tune but my bridge had come forward a significant amount, the next 45 minutes were extremely frustrating. My best advice is to tune the strings and the adjust the bridge accordingly, then retune and repeat the process until it is in perfect equilibrium and in tune (remember the fine tuners are your best friend so they dont have to be perfectly in tune when you lock the nut.

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    The secret to tuning a Floyd rose bridge- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYcGmMJnX0M
    You totally don’t have to buy his wooden block either, although I’m sure its very handy. You can just tape or glue a stack of picks together until it is JUST thick enough to make your Floyd Rose level with the body. Also, its important to note that some of the cheaper floyds refuse to stay in tune and its because the knife edges that the trem pivots on have dulled because the company that produced them used a cheap metal as opposed to hardened steel or titanium. I know that even though schecter may call the floyds “original Floyd rose”, they are not actual floyds. Real ones are made in germany with hardended steel and say made in germany on the base plate. The schecter ones (at least the cheaper ones) are made in south korea using some zinc alloy. I have had really bad tuning problems with the south Korean ones.
    It’s also important to note that the different metals even change your tone quite a bit. You can buy upgrades and customize your Floyd rose at Floydrose.com and fu-tone.com
    Here is a comparison of the different Floyd rose bridges- http://darthphineas.com/2018/03/floyd-rose-comparison/

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    But just imagine the tone! Twice as dense, Ed!!! They have those titanium trems for like $900. As guitarist, many of us will spend any amount of money in the pursuit of tone and enhanced guitar performance. If you’re willing to buy an top notch gear like an axe fx III or red bear picks, why not a top notch tone block ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I have it set up in a way where i can go back and forth by using the fine tuners, the bridge is completely flat and there is no tuning issues, Try tuning your guitar to drop d to start and then lock it off and go up to e standard with the fine tuners. Hope this helps.

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    It always gonna be a bit out of tune, even if you have that low E set up to where you can drop the pitch at much as possible. There is less tension on the low E string for all the other strings will go slightly sharp. You may be able to find a close middle ground where the A and low D make a power chord. You’ll be pretty close to being in tune with yourself, but you’ll be out of tune with the rest of the band. It’s always best to just choose a tuning and keep the floyd there. It also gives you a reason to buy more guitars because you can have like 5 in different tunings, so there’s that.