• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED, "Does anyone here use Cubase? I have setup my studio but I am having an issue, almost like a noise gate issue..."

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
So basically I got Cubase which came with a Steinberg UR22C Audio interface. I have setup my Cubase studio so that the sample size and buffer rate are exactly where I want them. There is no issue with latency when playing. IT SOUNDS AND RESPONDS GREAT! My issue is that when I stop playing guitar after a few moments the audio goes dead. And when I first start playing there is no sound coming out of my speakers or being recorded, then it will kick in after a split second. It is really frustrating when recording and I am required to rest the the guitar during the song, and then when I start playing again... the first note or two will not register/record...

It almost feels like there is a noise gate somewhere but I don't know where or how to eliminate this issue. I want my guitar to send a signal constantly and have that signal constantly being output by the speaker and constantly recorded by the software.

I have been all over youtube, reddit, the steinberg forum and I cannot seem to figure this out. If anyone here has advice please let me hear it lol.

Regards,

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
Reactions: Ed Seith

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Thanks for the answer. It definitely isn't that though. I spoke to someone on the phone yesterday and it looks like this might be a bug with the software. Or a hardware issue in which case I need a new audio interface.

I'm going to try downloading reaper since supposably it is free. If I have the same issue with that it is most likely a problem with my audio interface.

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Reaper technically isn't free, but the "trial version" is full-featured and doesn't expire. You're on your honor to pay for it when you can. It's only $60 US, though they are officially considering it free during the outbreak.
Oh nice, I still haven't downloaded it. I've been working on a project that I already recorded. But if reaper turns out to be a great program $60 is well worth it.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
I finally figured out what was happening. IT WAS THE SPEAKER I WAS USING! Basically I was using a portable JBL speaker plugged in to the headphone jack of my audio interface. The reason I chose to do this is to save money/space on studio monitors as I live in a condo and don't need anything bigger. Seriously this thing is so loud and sounds great(although not a flat speaker/studio monitor).

Anyway, something about it was taking a split second to pickup on the guitar signal each time I started playing after a rest on the guitar. Probably because it is a blutooth speaker, it must have some smart tech inside of it that was slowing down the regular process of the audio interface. Not only was this an audible problem, but somehow it slowed down the audio interface/cubase in terms of processing. Which made recording difficult as some notes would be missed.

I tried so many things to fix this, finally I can continue to just enjoy playing guitar and recording on Cubase.

Reactions: Filip Tomiša
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Ahh, I get it now. I was reading your problem differently. Just that it would delay before coming on, but not that EVERYTHING was delayed like that. Yeah, Bluetooth is plenty fast enough for passive listening, to TV or music or whatever, but to PLAY through it, the latency is just way too high. I'm sorry I didn't fully grasp what you were describing, but glad you figured it out!