• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Feeling limited

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
Ed, just so you know, Dan Donegan knows no theory. And you said yourself that you have no problem with his lead playing.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Simply GREAT suggestions.

Reactions: Chris Johnston

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Reactions: carlosmqr
J

Jak Angelescu

I'll make another video tonight to this. Too much to type

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I was and still facing the same problem (not with the caged system but in general, with some scales and modes like phrygian dominant). I went through the whole thread and found some useful tips, especially from Jak's video. She mentioned that it depends on what type of guitarist you wanna be feels so true. Same about writing stuff. Recently I took writing songs a little bit more seriously than before and I am slowly, or actually being forced, to understand some dynamics of chord progressions, modes etc etc (which i am liking a lot). Plus a crap ton of improvising (trying to) on different backing tracks. This is helping me getting out of this static phase of playing same licks, riffs again and again, I believe.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Imactuallyadrummer

Campfire Attention Holder
May 27, 2020
Toronto, Ontario
Hi guys... reviving an old thread. Went digging a little while there's some downtime at work lol. Going to watch the videos posted here later when I have speakers. How is everyone's motivation levels now, over 3 months after the inception of this thread? I feel my motivation levels dipping slightly here too but I think that's the result of trying to take on too much at a time. I feel mild guilt when I haven't picked up the guitar for more than a day! so I was digging around and seeing if anyone else had felt the same lack of motivation or progress stagnation.

I'm actively trying to remind myself I only picked up the guitar about 1 month ago, and comparing to when I first started there's been a lot of progress made at least. But still nowhere at the comfort level where I would like to contribute anything video wise haha. For all the things that don't make sense I'm hoping with time and patience it will fall into place! In the meantime, how did it work out for you guys, 3 months later?

Reactions: Jak Angelescu
J

Jak Angelescu

I used to be like you to where I felt guilt because I didn't pick up the guitar for a day. But the truth is is that I'm an adult and sometimes I have other priorities and sometimes I'm too tired or mentally drained to play and there's nothing wrong with it. I'm sorry to see that you've been slipping a little bit in motivation but I totally understand when you feel like you take on too much at once it can feel overwhelming. It's for this reason that I decided to hire a guitar teacher. Having a personal teacher has helped me stay on track and not take too much on at once. My motivation has actually been through the roof ever since I hired someone like that!

Imactuallyadrummer

Campfire Attention Holder
May 27, 2020
Toronto, Ontario

Do you still do lessons now? I don't think I can get anything like that ATM due to a particular microscopic entity right now

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain

I took an online teacher too and it's working fine with me. I subscribed his course, which is cool for beginners, just the basics to start playing, and it's totally at my own pace. I send my questions or videos to him when I can and he gives me his feedback. Also, he posts a lot of his tutorials on YouTube

J

Jak Angelescu

Lol Ethan giving our man a shameless plug

In all seriousness, if you DO decide to look for a private teacher, Bill (mine and Ethan's teacher) gives a free introductory lesson to the students here because of me. Syn even acknowledges that private lessons are amazing.

Bill's played with Savatage, Trans Siberian Orchestra, Doro Pesch and has his own solid band on nuclear blast records. He was taught by Kiko loureiro and is really awesome.

Reactions: Ethan Keeling

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I'm a lot more motivated to practice. I mean I play guitar at least a little bit everyday but it isn't always practicing Nescecarily it can also be just noodling or writing chord progressions (which may both be practicing too but not as directed).

You don't need to practice every day. Having a guitar in your hand will help you get familiar with the instrument and therefore boost your playing too.

On the subject of not being good enough to upload a video. By all means please upload one maybe we can help you and give some direction on what you should focus on so it isn't as overwhelming anymore

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Man is this thread so old already? I feel like I am a different player now. Have to go through everything again and see what I think of it now! I am very motivated because I found a way to progress with theory and still have fun, so that's great. Although I will have a little less time from now on for a couple of reasons. Right @Jak Angelescu

J

Jak Angelescu

I have ZERO clue what you're talking about