• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Female musicians

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I just watched this video on rick Beato's favourite female musicians and there's some really cool stuff in there so I figured I'd leave it here.

I'd also would like to say that I'm really not trying or want to start a discussion about woman in music or anything along those lines. Sharing music would be cool but let's just keep it about music and not politics please

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Great thread! Some great musicians in Rick's videOOHMYGOD HIS DAUGHTER IS FREAKING ADORABLE!

But seriously, some powerful musicians there. Kinga's a great bassist. Lari Basilio is wonderful, and she's playing her new signature model too, which is really sweet in a Tele kind of way. And that woman with the 10 string classical? WHOA!

Here are a few great players I'm a fan of.

Alyssa Day (@alyssaj.day) • Instagram photos and videos - A nice shredder with some tasty lines. Very clean and creative, if "standard shred."
    Shannon Lauren Callihan (@shannonlaurencallihan) • Instagram photos and videos - brilliant country-tinged blues player with a sweet voice. Amazing tones and some really wonderful playing all the time.
    Sophie Lloyd (@sophieguitar_) • Instagram photos and videos - she's got a Kiesel endorsement, and did a limited run signature model. She does a lot of "shreddy versions of pop songs" that are fun, and she's got some really great phrasing sometimes.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Amanda palmer plays piano and ukulele. She's been around years and is very inspirational. Should hear her story on how she's lived in New Zealand since the lockdowns started made the wise choice to stay there and the.entire country although with some set backs I think in whole are mask free.

Kesha is also very inspirational. Her producer story is a good read in how she overcame power control to really bring out the music SHE wanted. No autotone. No hiding her voice which is amazing.

Lorde is just years beyond the rest. I hear artists using her tricks and vocal melodies everywhere now. She needs a new album...

Let's hear your fav rockstar girl tunes!

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Love these ladies so much, I have to share one of my own personal favorites. Alexandra Zerner from Czech Republic is a composer and solo artist and plays a plethora of instruments though guitar is her main one. And she is fucking amazing !

Golly, she's good!

Reactions: Alicia Willis

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Love these ladies so much, I have to share one of my own personal favorites. Alexandra Zerner from Czech Republic is a composer and solo artist and plays a plethora of instruments though guitar is her main one. And she is fucking amazing !

Ooh, Marty Friedman's song Nice! Incredibly well played too!

Reactions: Alicia Willis

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Actually it’s one of her originals, Marty is one of her big influences though and you can definitely hear it on some of her earlier songs.
    Ooh yeah, I realized it when the distortion kicked in but the clean bit was a little bit too close to Night and Valley Of Eternity by Marty Friedman that my ear instantly went, ooh, that's a marty Friedman song

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    With few exceptions, electric guitar has always been man's domain. Girls have historically gravitated towards acoustic guitar, while guys gravitated towards electric. I'm sure there are definite reasons for that - (and I have a few ideas) - but I'm not a sociologist and anything I say would be conjecture and probably just get me in trouble.
    The bottom line is - it's great to see more women step up and take their rightful place next to men in the world of guitar shred.
    It's long overdue.