• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Getting rid of tone knobs.

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I'm thinking about changing my guitar. It's a strat, the volume knob is too high for my liking I keep hitting it while playing and since I don't use the tone knobs I thought I might as well get rid of them. Both of them are always full open.
    Now I'm wondering if just removing them will affect the sound of the guitar?
    And how it will affect it?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    My first guitar was a cheap version of a strat and i hated that volume knob. It's too high like you said. I just removed the knob cap and then set the volume just by rolling it with my fingers. The knob cap is there just for the estetics.
    i have a missing knob cover on another guitar, without it the knob underneath breaks off easily. It happened to me on a guitar and on a bass. I do not recommend that, those are harder to replace.

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    The weird thing with tone knobs is you don't use them until you do. So taking them out may be fine now but later down the line you may wish you have them. I for example have my tone knobs at 5 for my strat a lot.
    That's what people say. I can't miss it on my other guitars but on this one they don't make much difference. Plus I can always put them back. I'll try just one of them first.

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    WDUSSS5L1101__23060.1481743897.jpg

Update: After messing around with it a bit I decided to leave one tone pod on it. I'll look into wiring more closely, but is there something I should know?

Synner Endless Summer Collection