• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Help with the pentatonic scale

Trevor Hall

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Pentatonic scales use 5 notes of the major scale. For a major it uses the 1st(root), 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th of that said scale. Ex using Cmaj:
C D E F G A B
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
So a major pentatonic uses the notes C, D, E, G and A.
The same formula applies to all the major scales
Ex using Dmaj:
D E F# G A B C#
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dmaj pentatonic = D, E, F#, A, B
I hope this is helpful for you!

J

Jak Angelescu

@daniel I think we need to actually hear WHAT is so confusing for you. If you’d like, you can Skype me and I’d be more than happy to help you! Sometimes when we are having issues, it’s really difficult to describe it over text. Feel free to add me on Skype with GuitarNinjaCat and I’d be more than happy to help you out!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
The minor pentatonic scale is root(the note you’re starting at) then 3 frets above it, 5 frets, the 5th (7 frets usually), and the minor seventh. If you want to get the maforementioned pentatonic you can start from the minor third (3 frets above the root). Not sure whether this answers your questionew but I hope it does. Maybe you can make a video or Skype someone and we’ll be happy to explain it to you!

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    …5..6..7..8
    E- X——–X
    B–X——–X
    G–X—–X
    D–X—–X
    A–X—–X
    E–X———X
    Confusing but basically(this is for an am pentatonic)
    e string= 5,8
    a string= 5,7
    d string= 5,7
    g string= 5,7
    b string= 5,8
    high e string= 5,8
    use this pattern at any note on the low E.
    Again, sorry if this is not much use but as long as it helps some how then that’s great.
    \M/

Alan Celis

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    you can learn the natural minor scale, its almost exactly the same but for some extra notes that really add alot to the sound, that plus a few chromatic notes here and there and youre set for about 85% of all jams once you find the root note(or the relative minor) and the other 15% just have to find the right mode and adjust the scale accordingly.
    try to learn the pattern that is very similar to the pentatonic one and the rest is ez pz.