• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Introduction to Alternate Picking – Lesson 39

Adrian Tache

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Romania
I've been playing for almost 2 years and i guess i know the basic mechanics. I've been also doing economy picking without even knowing what it is. In some pretty hard songs i can do it with no trouble but in some others i am having difficulties so i guess i gotta start over from scratch and learn how to do it properly from the most basic forms. Thank you so much syn and papa gates for sharing your valuable knowledge with us! Mad respect for that.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
I've been playing for almost 2 years and i guess i know the basic mechanics. I've been also doing economy picking without even knowing what it is. In some pretty hard songs i can do it with no trouble but in some others i am having difficulties so i guess i gotta start over from scratch and learn how to do it properly from the most basic forms. Thank you so much syn and papa gates for sharing your valuable knowledge with us! Mad respect for that.
Thank you for being here, Adrian! Most great players are using a combination of techniques. The more tools you have, the easier it is to play difficult things.
Good luck!
PG

Ashton Schuler

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
I never noticed that for the past two years I've pretty much done nothing leading with upstrokes. I can do these lightning fast with down and I can usually do the first half starting with ups but then my brain auto corrects to sort of economy pick so it will definitely take some work. As someone who lives in a small town with no teachers within 4 hours from here, I appreciate you making these, I'm learning a lot!

Reactions: William B.

Ryan girvin

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
I struggled for AGES with alternate picking due to me being self taught and I'd developed the bad habit of down picking everything. Don't ask why, it just felt natural to me I guess. Couldn't for the life of me get the hang of picking up and down for weeks so eventually I stopped trying. Fast forward till about a week ago, I was running through some scales, improvising to some backing tracks and at first I didn't realise what I was doing but I eventually realised that I was Alternate Picking!!! And pretty fluently might I add. It's improved my playing Sevenfold (sorry for the bad pun). It sounds so much cooler and it actually sounds like I'm playing rock now. Lol. My rhythm seems better too. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, it will come to you eventually. Some people get it easier than others but it will come to you. That's the only thing I'm probably educated enough to give my advice on when it comes to this lesson. Just stick with it. It could happen to you like me and you don't even realise you're doing it.

Great lesson as always by the way!!!

Synner Endless Summer Collection