• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Left hand speed

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
Try working on more Legato exercises. This helped me to develop not just speed and dexterity, but more independence. I found that my fretting hand was following my picking hand way too much and had trouble making the few Legato licks I knew groove so a few years ago I began to dedicate a lot of time to Legato and in particular, listening to the Legato guru himself, the late Allan Holdsworth. This helped to complete my circle, hopefully it does the same for you! Good luck and remember, this is a LONG process and should be enjoyed so make your practice routines enjoyable!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Brian Oravetz

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I took a few lessons from Steve Stine, and the exercise that he gave me was so simple that I felt dumb for not thinking of it.
Simply start doing pull offs. Start with your index finger, and go for 20 seconds. Then fret your index finger and start pulling off with your middle finger for 20 seconds, until you get to your pinky. (you’ll realize, if you haven’t already, that your pinky hates you. ) Then, fret your middle finger, and do pull offs with your ring finger for 20 seconds, then pinky, etc.
See the pattern? By the time you’re done, your forearm will be on fire, and your fingers will be spastic. It’s a great endurance exercise, and it is very useful for increasing speed.

Jeff Pogan

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Sounds ironic but seriously, play slow!
Practice to a click PAINFULLY slow. Then bump it up 4 bpm at a time until you can’t play it clean anymore. Keep doing that with all kinds of different exercises (the Syn etudes are all great to practice, even suuuuper slowly).
It’s like weightlifting, it takes a long time to gain muscle, but after countless hours, and lifting consistently throughout months (even years) you’ll notice one day that you’re ripped!