• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Master of puppets

Ben newton

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
www.instagram.com
That really awesome chromatic riff might feel a bit strange playing to a 4/4 click but its really the only way to practice this. Its because the riff is in groups of 3 that pushes the click. Just slow it down. Though in groups of 3, you gotta focus on playing 2 notes per click.

The verse is a bit complicated for the metronome, because again from memory it alternates between 4/4 and 7/8 (please someone correct me if this is wrong as it might be 6/8). The best way around this is (if you can) get your metronome up to say about 320bpm and play every note on every click (instead of two notes per click) to avoid the 7/8 problem. You're basically aiming for the metronome to be playing twice the speed of the record at 440bpm.

Hope this makes sense.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Strict 8th notes at 210BPM all downpicked is supremely challenging. I've long since given up on getting anywhere close to playing it properly at speed, but I'm an old man. It does notch just fine into a metronome at 4/4. You just have to slow it down enough until it makes sense and you feel it, then start speeding up. Good luck.

Right now I can play it at about 180 or so. There was a time I got it up to 190, but I needed to do it for a while every day just to maintain that level, and I have more important things to focus on. I do it at 175-180 as part of my right hand warm ups, through the first chorus, and that's it.

Ben newton

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    www.instagram.com

I gave up with downpicking and just made every attempt to alternate pick it! I never used a downpicking approach enough to learn it properly.

Being able to fit with 4/4 makes me believe it's probably 6/8 now and not 7/8.

Last edited:

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Master is really a great warmup! I think the hard part is not playing up to speed, at least not if you play a lot of metal, it's really about maintain that speed. After a good warmup I could play the intro pretty well up to speed.

Ojas Sapkota

Garage band Groupie
    Apr 19, 2020
    Nepal
    Master is really a great warmup! I think the hard part is not playing up to speed, at least not if you play a lot of metal, it's really about maintain that speed. After a good warmup I could play the intro pretty well up to speed.
    I find creeping death harder actually. That intro e5 madness is hard for me....later parts are easier.but chugging that e5 only is so hard

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I find creeping death harder actually. That intro e5 madness is hard for me....later parts are easier.but chugging that e5 only is so hard
    Honestly I struggle the Most with the fast downstrokes on the g5 in between. But it's a daily thing. Sometimes I can nail it. Not too hard when warmed up.

Reactions: Ojas Sapkota