• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

My biggest mistakes while learning guitar (learn from my mistakes)

[DELETED]

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Dude same, I don't know most of those classic songs, they just don't do it for me. I can see how it can make it hard as a teacher lol. Improv concepts are definitely more useful overall

I agree completely, I was the same way. But at the same time, I think for *some* people, if you push them to learn that kind of stuff to early it can turn them off from guitar and music. A lot of us gotta find our way a little first and then come into theory. It's never too late!

It's definitely better to learn things slow and thorough. A lot of people just wanna go fast even if it doesn't sound good or they arent playing it right, which was definitely me for a few years. But sometimes learning something too fast or our of my league early on pushed me to get better and made me more confident to keep learning intimidating things.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland

I could teach improv until I pass out haha, but laboring over strumming patterns & fret numbers really switches my brain off sometimes. It's all personal preference though!

Yeah to your point on not pushing people to learn Theory, I agree totally. I tend to only introduce it to students that I can tell will be ready for it and see the point, for the same reasons you mentioned, it can really put people off learning if introduced too early.

100% agree with this also- it was when I started slowing down that my playing cleaned up and I was actually able to 'shred' better and cleaner without feeling like I'd just did bicep day at the gym . And definitely! I try to always learn what scares me, or if I'm scrolling instagram and I see someone half my age hitting out with some Neo Soul madness, I always make myself learn at least one lick.

Reactions: carlosmqr