• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Paying attention to the thumb!

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Hi there Synners!
So I have been doing my exercises and notices that whenever I do stuff on the low E or A string my notes sound awfull. At the beginning I thought it was the string gauge (10s slinkys) but maybe it was my way of picking the notes too. Anyways, I watched Syn playing and noticed the thumb placement. Then it clicked...I barely move my thumb. Now I have to work on that while doing my pentatonics.
Just wanted to share this and ask if anybody has some exercise suggestion for thumb placement.

Reactions: Ezequiel Romanko

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
My thumb is over the neck for most of the things I play. If it isn't it moves however it wants to move to get the part done and that's indeed mostly when I have to fret something on the lower strings with my pointing finger.

I don't know any particular excersises but just try to find a placement where the notes sound good and practice switching to it whenever nescecary

Reactions: Christian Schulze
J

Jak Angelescu

Thumb placement I truly believe depends on the individual. Especially because of anatomical reasons. For example, it is very difficult for me to do things like Joe Walsh because he has larger hands and so hooking my thumb over the neck the way he does is a physical impossibility on some things. I too have looked at where Syn places his fingers and it changes a lot. It depends on what you are getting ready to do on the guitar. For example, 3 Notes per string modal scale runs from the 3rd fret to the 7th fret there is no physical possible way anybody can keep their thumb hooked over the neck no matter how big your hands are. However there are some times when I go to do open chord work that keeping the thumb over the neck helps to mute the top string. So I think it really just depends on what you are trying to play and how big your hands are if you can really physically do it. I sometimes have to pivot my hand a little bit to make things work with my thumb but I have small hands

Synner Endless Summer Collection