• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Something feedback on my singing please

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
So I like to sing sometimes and I seem to kinda struggle with creating volume. I’m also kinda insecure about my singing capabilities so some feedback would be really appreciated.
Yes I’m singing a John Mayer song again. His voice sits in my vocal range nicely and he doesn’t do a lot of fancy stuff(Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton or SRV may come later(YouTube tends to block Beatles in a heartbeat))

Synner Endless Summer Collection

RoaringRowanThunderBender

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Warrenton, NC
    rowm76.wixsite.com
    Hi, Ids! I think you have a very nice voice! One way to improve your volume, is practice with your diaphragm. I did a practice to strengthen mine by laying on the floor, placing a book on my stomach, and carefully breathing deeply in and out. You kind of have to push using your diaphragm to increase your volume. (That might sound a bit weird, but I don’t know how else to describe it.) If you need any help or maybe a video with a few tips, I’d be happy to try to help you out. I’ve been singing since about five years old and I’m classically trained through chorus classes.

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I should learn more about singing so that I can talk about singing without everything I say being worthless lol. Because I’ve worked in a deafening environment with earplugs for almost a decade it’s easy for me to be loud, but I have no idea how to explain what my body does to be loud.
    I bet the reason you don’t have the vocal power you want is technique, because your voice sounds like the voice of someone singing softly. You can’t sing louder by singing softly louder. Just doing what you’re doing more forcefully would probably never work, and could hurt you.

I recommend a book called “The Rock-N-Roll Singer’s Survival Manual” by Mark Baxter.
    It has a very detailed explanation of how to breathe and how use your diaphragm correctly with some exercises, plus how to keep your voice healthy. It is very easy to understand and an easy quick read (cause I know you don’t have a lot of free time available.
    I would start there.
    Also the instructional video “The Zen of Screaming” by Melissa Cross has a very detailed explanation of how to breathe and use the diaphragm correctly and lots of good exercises, plus other good advice. Any singer can benefit from this video, not just extreme vocalists.
    This two options are enough to keep you busy for a while, but if you want any other resources let me know! 🙂

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    So I just tried singing again but did not film it(yet). I found out about two things:
    1. If I focus on creating volume(and actually creating it) I tend to sing offkey which is kinda bad
    2. For whatever reason I can’t sing/speak louder enough to be heard over my acoustic guitar but I can hear myself rather clearly when I sing while playing electric guitar.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    For #2, I’d be surprised if you’re not self-regulating your volume in your head to match guitar so that it sounds good to you. That’s where a singer’s ego can come in handy – LOL. That comes with practice, confidence, and technique.
    Melissa Cross has taught proper screaming to a LOT of big-name screamers who praise her as a life-saver. The most recent I can think of is Jesse Leach from Killswitch Engage.
    Ailee said a lot of shit better than I could – I want to try to sing, but I chicken out. Good for you, Mr. Brave!

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    For my entertainment, maybe try playing and singing with earplugs in? Fair warning, I don’t know what result this will have. Maybe it’ll be a disaster lol. Hey, I just had an idea. Maybe I should help contribute to this school by making a video about how to wear earplugs properly, ‘cuz it seems like very few people understand it.

This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Firsty Lasty.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Hahaha earplugs in while singing seems like a horrible idea. I won’t be able to hear my guitar and singing so it’s just gonna be a mess.
    I think this one has better volume to guitar ratio than the last one. I’m definitely not M shadows but This is the only avenged song I think I can do somewhat decently

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    My voice has been a bit weird this week. Like it has all the weird cracks and random off pitch things a teenage boy has when his voice is in transition. Yes it also happens when I talk. I’ve been trying to sing Heart Of Life by John Mayer anyway. Any tips and tricks and feedback would be really great(yes I know some parts are off key)

@FirstyLasty that’s an interesting point you bring, cause ideally a singer should learn by the sensation in the body (resonance, placement, open throat, support, etc.) and not just by what they hear. In many live scenarios singers are unable to hear themselves and have to rely on “how it feels” when they are singing and what they have trained their bodies to do. So what you suggest could actually be a powerful practice exercise.

Ids the voice cracks are caused by a lack of support. Right now your throat is doing all the work that your diaphragm should be doing, this will also help your volume. I’ll try to film a video to explain in more depth.
    By the way, I’m loving this thread and this idea. I’m gonna dust off the songs that I used to play and sing and embrace that more on the school cause we don’t have a lot of that. It ain’t always about shreddin’ lol!