• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Something feedback on my singing please

Stephanie Sypher

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Ok, so what I know from the guitar players in my life is that sometimes it is difficult to sing while playing because of the focus. What I can tell you as a singer is that to get optimum volume, you have to fill those lungs which is pretty difficult while sitting. Try to maybe record your guitar playing and then practice singing the song with the recording of you playing for a bit and then start playing while singing, but stand. Also, until you get used to hearing your recorded voice, it will sound odd to you, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad.

This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Stephanie Sypher.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
So I tried again and I think it’s better than the previous one
I’m sitting because I feel more comfortable like that and in this case it kinda worked I guess. To be honest the focus is not really the problem for me I wander off a lot when I play guitar so it’s kinda doable.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Tbh John Mayer had this really mellow thing to his voice which I really like. I have no clue how to combine that with power because when I try to sing with more power it tends to become a bit more coarse and looses all the mellow soothing quality it has. So yes I’m singing softly but that has more to do with the fact that I like how it sounds. If there’s a way to have that soothing/mellow quality to my voice and create volume in all ears. Maybe I just have to get a microphone

Singing quietly is more difficult than singing loud because it requires more breath control.
It’s a trained skill that takes time to develop, so don’t get discouraged if it’s hard right now. I’m gonna film those videos soon, I’ll go through some basics and add some advice for singing mellow as well.

Hi Ids! I’m so sorry, I’ve been super busy and haven’t had time to record a proper video.
However, I don’t want to leave you hanging so I found this video from a vocal instructor.
Breathing and support are the foundation of singing. On this video she explains how to breathe correctly and how to use the diaphragm. Practice this whenever you can and it should really help with your volume and control. Also, as she says towards the end, the abdominal motions are supposed to be gentle. This, plus remembering to always sing with a completely relaxed body will help with you achieving that tone that you are looking for. Practice getting rid of stress as you sing.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Ids you’ll get used to using your diaphram. The higher notes will take a lot out of you. I still get winded when I sing high pitches or scream. The muscles will take time. Using your diaphram will also help you elevate your volume.
The past year I’ve gotten much better control of my voice simply by using my diaphram more and more. You will get better.