• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Songs to learn

Donnie Keeney

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
What songs are your favorite to play? What songs are you currently working on? What songs helped you with a particular technique? I am kinda stuck in a rut and looking for new and interesting things to play (or just some cool riffs). I appreciate any suggestions. All ideas are welcome.

J

Jak Angelescu

I learn anything and everything. I go from working on Hail To The King for my economy picking to Der Leiermann by Schubert for sheet reading, transcribing and classical stuff. I love working on new songs always, but I find music to be the most rewarding when I write my own stuff. If you’re stuck in a rut, try utilizing the stuff you have learned either on the school or by learning songs and write your own 🙂
Or I can challenge you to do something 😉

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I’ve recently discovered that Stone Temple Pilots songs (from the 90s, mostly) use a LOT of “non-standard” (at least for rock) chords. Learning a bunch of their songs increased my chord knowledge. Also the strumming/picking patterns are interesting for working on your palm muting on/off for rhythms.
    Not as sexy as lead techniques, but pretty good stuff for overall finger dexterity.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    At the moment I really enjoy playing the following songs: The stage, Paradigm, Sunny Disposition, God Damn, Hail To The King, Planets, Afterlife, Stairway To Heaven, Gates Of Babylon, Hey Joe, Wet Sand, Slow Dancing In A Burning Room, Gravity and Minor Swing. I kinda picked the songs that I play when I’m very limited with time. All of those had some purpose. Some for technique and what not and others for shear musicality.
    At the moment I’m working on I’ll See You In my Dreams and I kinda want to go and learn Money By Pink Floyd

J

Jak Angelescu

@Donnie
    Challenge 1: Improv in Cmaj over the backing track in lesson 9 and post a video of you doing it. You must use at least one major scale position, one minor scale position, and a minor pentatonic position. Once you get it, post it up as a video and name the scales you used and the notes in each scale and tell me why they work 🙂
    Challenge 2: Write a simple chord progression/riff for me in the key of Cmajor and post it up here.
    Challenge 3: Find the backing track on Youtube for Hail To The King and improv over Syn’s solo section. Post it up here and tell us what scales you decided to use and what techniques you tried (economy, tapping, etc)

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    wow. so diverse answers. I am still trying to figure out the buried alive solo. Reached up to the point where the crazy sweeping starts. That’s just insane. Also I am working on how to play along arpeggios of unconventional chords. Paul gilbert style

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Jak has a great idea here. I think, for the next big video collaboration thing, we should push for something like this. A challenge we all can do. Definitely sounds like it could be more fun, a little more competitive too. Which is always a good thing. Whether you can sweep or just alternate pick, doesn’t matter. Could be fun to see what everyone can do when they push themselves that little bit further.

J

Jak Angelescu

I just posted one up actually, lol! Except I don’t use the backing track in Lesson 9 but I’ve done that one like 3 times on here already. Two or three times, I can’t remember but I’ll be doing it again for sure! https://syngates.com/riffs/c-major-improv-attempt-3/

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    watched your improv and loved that you did it acoustic. I cant play my acoustic anywhere near as well as my electric.. but thats gonna change with the one I’m purchasing. Anywho, it flows great. And your friends theory is amazing, I definitely will apply that into my concepts now as well. So big props there too, best thing about this site is the people here are so talented they all have these little things that help everyone in some way. Also, since you like fluffy kittens, I’ll show you mine.

this was 3 months ago shes pretty big now.