• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Suggestion for lesson videos

Randy Petree

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I haven’t noticed yet and it’s because I am relatively new to this website and haven’t had a chance to fully explore it.
Is there or could you provide some information videos on gear? For us who are still learning but haven’t quite figured out how to properly use our amps and it’ settings and dials, using our pedals and learning how to properly use the volume and tone knobs and selector switch on our guitars.

J

Jak Angelescu

Hey there! Welcome buddy! I think if they did gear lessons it would be far too substantial because there’s practically an infinite amount of gear in the world and it would be far too difficult to be able to delve into every model and stuff. But if I could lend a helping hand that may cover a wide ground…
1. For your amp and pedals, YouTube search the make and model of your amp. You’ll be able to find countless of videos I’m sure of it!
2. As far as the volume and selector switch goes it really all comes down to just tone preference. I do know that most guitarists use the neck pickup for sweeping and the bridge pickup for smashing metal leads. But ultimately it comes down to YOU learning and discovering your own personal rig and developing your own personal sound.
I’m sure there will be a tutorial/lesson section on things like this eventually but hopefully that can give you some advice for the time being 🙂

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Randy, Ids is right. The best way to develop an understanding of your gear is to try it methodically. For amps and pedals, this means starting with every dial at the 5 or noon position (except volume or level!). Play for a few minutes, get a feel for the sound. Then (if you’re able), hold a simple note or chord (an A power chord is always a winner here – 1 finger winner!) and slowly rotate the first dial down it’s range, then all the way up to the top of it. Do it a few times if you need to. Get a feel for what it affects. Then move on to the next one.
    From there, you can listen to “all fives” and get a better understanding of what you want to tweak and how much to get to your happy place.
    On the guitar itself, volume is volume (though anything less than “10” usually rolls off some treble frequencies, too), and tone often just acts as a treble clip, too. For metal rhythm, keep it at 10s and your horns up! \m/