• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Syn Satin vs Gloss

Laur Trandafir

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
  • Nov 11, 2019
    www.youtube.com
    For anyone who has both the Satin finish and the Gloss finish, is the Satin neck any better? My current guitar has a bolt-on neck like the Syn Gloss version, and I don’t know if I want to keep the bolt-on or change to the the “smoother” version, which is easier to reach the 24th fret. Is there any significant difference?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I have always preferred bare necks, but satin will do. In fact, that was the second thing that turned me off to the Syn custom many years ago - the first being, "Holy shit, this is heavy!"

I have a few with satin necks and most with bare. My PRS has a gloss neck only because when I bought and went to take the sander to it, my wife made me wait and see if I could get used to it. I was able to on that guitar.

I've still never cared for it on any other, though.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I have honestly never looked into this. I always just play a guitar and go 'this feels great' or 'this does not feel great' and that always has more to do with the shape and thickness of the neck. Never Satin or Gloss. My two main guitars are a strat and Schecter syn deluxe and the Sun guitar feels a bit smoother but the difference is almost neglicable

Reactions: Akshat Rawat

Gabriel Perez

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Salt Lake City, UT
    open.spotify.com
    I think it's a matter of preference. For me I would die for any guitar with a satin neck. It's a lot smoother and it feels a lot faster to move with. Gloss necks can be a bit sticky if you are playing for long periods of time and start sweating. There are very few gloss necks I enjoy. Fenders have better necks than Squiers but I held a gloss neck Fender telecaster and I wanted to go back to my satin neck Stratocaster. I think it's all just how you feel as a player.

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    It depends on the heel joint, in all cases. The set neck on my Les Paul is terrible. Huge, ungainly SQUARE. Terrible. The square-heel bolt on necks of old Ibanez, traditional Fenders, etc. Also terrible.

Modern set necks, like my PRS or Ormsby offer fantastic access.
    A well-done bolt-on heel is also fantastic, like my newer Ibanez with AANJ (all access neck joint) or my Kiesel.

Basic rule of thumb - if it's square, don't go there.

Bellah83

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Worth Tx
    It depends on the heel joint, in all cases. The set neck on my Les Paul is terrible. Huge, ungainly SQUARE. Terrible. The square-heel bolt on necks of old Ibanez, traditional Fenders, etc. Also terrible.

Modern set necks, like my PRS or Ormsby offer fantastic access.
    A well-done bolt-on heel is also fantastic, like my newer Ibanez with AANJ (all access neck joint) or my Kiesel.

Basic rule of thumb - if it's square, don't go there.

Agreed, Schecters feel great on both. I've got one of their bolt on Avengers and it plays and feels great.
    My 2 set-in Avengers are my favorite by far though.

Is your LP a Gibson?

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Agreed, Schecters feel great on both. I've got one of their bolt on Avengers and it plays and feels great.
    My 2 set-in Avengers are my favorite by far though.

Is your LP a Gibson?

I had a Schecter Omen-7 that had an angled square heel. It was meh. Access wasn't great.
    The LP is a 2009 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II in cherryburst, I think.

Lucas Weiman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I think it's a matter of preference. For me I would die for any guitar with a satin neck. It's a lot smoother and it feels a lot faster to move with. Gloss necks can be a bit sticky if you are playing for long periods of time and start sweating. There are very few gloss necks I enjoy. Fenders have better necks than Squiers but I held a gloss neck Fender telecaster and I wanted to go back to my satin neck Stratocaster. I think it's all just how you feel as a player.
    You can overcome sticky necks by wiping them down with a tiny bit of coconut oil. Makes them super slick and doesn't mess up your finish. You can even use a tiny bit on the strings, just as long as your wipe down and dry off your fingers. Slides become effortless.

Reactions: Gabriel Perez

Lucas Weiman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    For anyone who has both the Satin finish and the Gloss finish, is the Satin neck any better? My current guitar has a bolt-on neck like the Syn Gloss version, and I don’t know if I want to keep the bolt-on or change to the the “smoother” version, which is easier to reach the 24th fret. Is there any significant difference?
    There is a huge noticeable different bulky feel between the bolt-on neck and a thru-neck (if that is the correct term) on the high frets, but if you are a good player it shouldn't affect your skills. How do I know? Youtube Damien Salazar Apeggios at the speed of light. Literally the fastest most impressive guitarist I've seen besides Jason Richardson, and he uses a schecter with a bolt on neck, and I was like... You are THAT good using THAT average guitar? Doing all kinds of lightning-speed high-fret moves that made Syn look like a beginner... He was sitting down while he played, so then again your functionality might be affected if you play standing... so maybe I'm wrong. Food for thought.

Ben Grosskreuz

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    All of Syn's custom S guitars have a set neck. I have 2 Satin and one gloss. One thing different about the Satin is that it has a 14 inch neck radius while the gloss has a 16 inch neck radius which is something to keep in mind.
    I prefer the satin finish any day of the week.
    Satin finishes also make it less likely that your picking hand arm sticks to the guitar body

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ben Grosskreuz

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    The bolt on neck has nothing to do with gloss/satin. It has to do with what edition of the guitar you get. The custom s has set neck, not sure about the other ones.