• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Synyster Single Coil Pickups

Luke G

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
New Jersey
I opened up my Strat yesterday because I wanted to change the bridge pickup, and I really wanted to put another Syn Gates in, but it won’t fit in my guitar. I think it would be a pretty cool idea to make a single coil version of Syn’s new pickup, or something similar. I bought the autographed Synyster Custom S in Satin Gold Burst and boy that pickup is a huge upgrade from the original. But this is just an idea I had, wanted to see your thoughts.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I’m honestly not sure. I mean it’s great if they get made but it also seems like Syn is only really selling stuff with his name on it it when he uses/likes the product himself. So maybe when schecter makes a custom Syn strat we will get Syn single coils but before that I’m not sure.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I always find coil split humbuckers to be somewhere in the middle in between humbuckers and single coils. The cleans are better than humbuckers but still not as good as just single coils imho. So making single coil Syn pickup is not that ridiculous. However I think that Syn’s pickup is a very hot pickup which Wouldn’t nescecarily be something I personally would look for in a single coil pickup.

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Coil taps and actual single coils aren’t quite the same, otherwise every guitar would just have humbuckers with coil taps. True single coil tone sounds pretty different. The syn humbuckers might sound good in a single coil version, but the syn pickups were voiced to have a heavy humbucker tone. They weren’t voice to be single coils, it doesn’t really translate directly. Also, some factors would have to be different, like you could use the same magnets and pole pieces but the number of coil windings will have to be different and the output would be inherently different. They may also be CRAZY noisy if they’re trying to take a metal humbucker and turn it into a single coil. It’s usually better to make things with a particular purpose in mind, like they make the syn pickups for distorted guitar considering that is what a7x does for the most part.