• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Toxic Trolls

Vasrely Derian

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
The way I see it, the SGS school is a peaceful and small community (compared to the whole a7x fanbase) I’ve been on youtube looking at the comments of a7x related videos and I always see these toxic trolls who’d try their best to piss people off. I’ve seen one guy literally make fun of the Rev’s departure from the band (through a video multiple times), another one made an effort to learn and play a7x solos just to prove how “bad” they are (He played it pretty sloppily too). I know we all should grow a thicker skin but imagine all these trolls one day coming across this website. If they’re filled with that much hate, imagine what they’d do here. Any thoughts?

Elton Breaux

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
There will always be people like that. Just dont give them the attention they crave. Something in them just want to rowl people up but wouldn’t say shit if any member of deathbat nation was in front of them. Just dont pay them any mind bro

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Hi Vasrely!
I agree. There are some truly horrible people out there – who are not welcome here.
We have a zero tolerance policy here for negative comments about ANYBODY. For me, it’s not about thick skin because I really don’t care what somebody thinks about me, A7X or Jimi Hendrix for that matter. It’s about creating an environment where players with less than great abilities can feel comfortable posting videos and interacting with others. It’s very intimidating and scary to post a video for other guitarists to see – even if you’re really good. This site was designed to be a community of guitarists who want to help each other as well as receive help – regardless of ability. A safe place to exchange ideas without fear of being ridiculed.
This is why Syn and I shared our knowledge freely – in hopes that others would learn from it AND share what they know with others here.
So far – this site has exceeded our wildest expectations in many ways. Not the least of which is the respect shown everyday by each member here.
Lastly – if you do see any trolls here, feel free to reach out to me personally so we can cancel their accounts.
Cheers!
PG

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
I completely second Papa Gates’ sentiments! Undoubtedly some will make it through, in fact, I feel so lucky that we haven’t had ONE mean spirited comment so far but when we do, they will be removed immediately. So go have fun, have spirited debates, and enjoy some healthy competition. This is your safe place!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ben Thorpe

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
They’re cowards. They have problems in real life and feel like they don’t get enough attention. They go online and hide behind their computer screens and vent all their insecuruties onto random strangers on the internet. Best way to deal with them is to ignore them and not take the bait. Also a report button would be nice! 😉

J

Jak Angelescu

That is one of the reasons why I love the school so much. It’s definitely a safe space for all of us to come together. I have witnessed some debates beginning to start and I’ve been very thankful that everybody has been completely and totally respectful of everyone. When you get on sites like blabbermouth, blabbermouth is consumed by a bunch of hateful people and they are definitely a tough crowd. When Syn gave me the shout out and showed my video, I got a lot of messages on Instagram of people begging me to make the video public so they could see it. But I was terrified to do it because I mess up in the video and guitar players are notorious for picking others apart. I tried as hard as I could to make people come through to the school to be able to see it because then that way I knew the dorks would be filtered out. But I made it public anyway to try to at least reach to those who would really care that were good-spirited people. That’s what I always try to remember is who I do this for. Because I had made that video public I did get a lot of responses on Instagram of people thanking me because they had the same types of problems that I did and my video helped them and inspired them. It’s those kind of people that I like the target my energy to. Naturally I did get a couple of hateful stupid messages of people even still telling me I wasn’t playing it right 😑. Those people just have issues. I never Focus my attention on those people. There’s always going to be somebody coming around screaming at you making fun of you and whatnot. I’ve had enough of that for 20 years. I don’t put myself through it anymore. It’s a sad day because I see so many beginners on here terrified to post up there videos for fear of judgement and insults. I think this thread was a great thread to start and hopefully some of those beginners read this and know that it’s okay and that nobody is here to make fun of anybody.

Tory Capman

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
It’s fantastic! I’ve been playing for 13 years, and I’m no expert and am just as nervous as any beginner on here to showcase what I can do. But I’m grateful for this place and how it pushes me to be in the mindset of a beginner where I can just absorb all of this amazing information

Bartosz Tkaczyk

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
When i was watching live shows on YT like few years ago i thought – damn, metalheads are amazing, look at this crowd having fun, then i have started to reading comments on facebook and omg, people there are completely messed up, it doesn’t matter what band, song, is news about they’re bitching about everything, just check loudwire profile, or blabbermouth. These kind of people changed my opinion about metalheads. I try not to think about them because they’re just keyboard warriors. Why we have to argue what’s metal and not metal etc. if you don’t like it – leave it. Let everyone listen to what type of music they like.

Josh Wright

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Majority of “metalheads” online are tough only online. The majority of us are a community, at concerts while in a pit we may be rough the majority of us in my experience actually are the nicest people. M Shadows stopped a song to make sure someone wasn’t hurt. The metalheads online represent us badly imho.

G

This website is a community. Not just a collection of guitar players. We all support each other. Even if you are a complete noob and just learned the intro to something as simple as Seven Nation Army. You will get input and advice. Not just some guy saying ‘You really suck. Put down the guitar forever!1!1!”
I love the way Papa and Syn handle this matter. I believe thick skin is important but no one is here to thicken their skin. We are here to learn, improve, and grow.
This community is a true gift to us guitarist. I learned so much from the forums and videos here. And I truly hope the trolls never get through.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Speaking of Blabbermouth, I just went through comments on facebook on the article about Syn commenting on Glenn Tipton’s position in Judas Priest. And oh boy, I’ve been illuminated. I always thought metal tryhards were some edgy wankers living in their mom’s basement, but apparently I was wrong. I’ve seen a lady in her 30’s or 40’s making troll comments like a 15 year old kid who’s just got into Cannibal Corpse. I thought older people were smarter lol.