• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What is your opinion on attending a music college ?

Allen EL

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I am getting to the point where I am thinking about applying to school. What do you guys think about school like the guitar institute of technology, Berklee college of music, or generally any state school guitar program?

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Yeah dude, Im an MI graduate. It was a truely incredible experience being completely immersed in music and seriously rubbing elbows with literally THE BEST musicians in the world. Easily the best 2 years of my life, so far. My advice to ANYONE going to music school is #1 just focus on learning as much as you can and being the best musician possible. Learn new material EVERY DAY. Take in new stuff and let it fall away in your conscious mind. The analogy that I got from my teacher Al Bonhomme is that your musical brain is like a lake. The reason the Great Salt Lakes are so salty is that water runs in, bringing in mineral deposits(like salt) and it has nowhere to drain so it gets gross and salty. Your mind works the same way; you take in a little material and harp on the same stuff for long periods of time, and your playing gets salty. ALWAYS look at the fretboard in a different way then you did the day before and you WILL get better. Another part is that I, personally, made the mistake of trying to keep straight A’s and making honors, but the reality is that no musical setting you go into will ever be asking to see your diploma. Going to music school, especially if you dont have to work to pay bills because you have student loans or family support, may be the last time you have to focus on nothing but music for a very long time or maybe even the rest of you life, and its an INCREDIBLY valuable thing so dont waste it.
#2 Be social, likeable, and build strong relationships with as many musicians as you can. Music is all about relationships and vibing with other people who have the same passion that you have. You can play music by yourself, but its meant to be shared and played with others. Be a good dude that helps elevate others and they will usually help elevate you, and that’s just general life advice.
#3 Have an exit strategy and plan after you leave school. The final reality is that music is a beautiful hobby, but making it a career requires you to have a way to bring in income using your talents. Easier said than done for many people, but certainly not impossible for anyone. Just have a plan and set goals. Not having a goal is like someone handing you a treasure map with no “X” and telling you that “X” marks the spot. You end up wandering aimlessly with no destination and that is not a good thing in life.
I personally support anyone that wants to take on this endeavor 100%, as difficult as a career as it may be. I’ll end this with a quote from the great Guthrie Govan “If you want to be a musician for a living, just don’t do it. If you HAVE to be a musician for a living, then do it.” Truely musical people are a rare breed and we definitely have a duty to stick together and keep true creativity alive, just understand that a musician’s life is never an easy one, but it’s also one of the most rewarding lives possible.

Brian Oravetz

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Christopher Lonski, damn man; that is a fantastic post!
I’ve been kicking around the notion of attending the music school in Atlanta, but not because I want to make a career in music; but rather because I’m passionate about this damn instrument. I earn my living as a fortunate tech entrepreneur turned corporate hack. So I’ve put my plan B first, because of everything that Christopher just said.
You have to truly be in a unique situation, and a unique individual to live the life of a professional musician. I admire and envy the people who are able to be that person. Truly. Sadly, what those unique souls bring into the world is often not appreciated as it should be. But when they make the effort, the rest of the world, if its paying attention gets to enjoy emotion put to sound via music. Or whatever medium the artist lives.
If you go the journeyman musician lifestyle, more power and best of luck to you young man.

Pablo De Miguel

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    I have a similar question: I started playing guitar almost two year ago and I´ve been learning to play by my self, and I thing that I play very good, but all my family tell me that I Should go to a music school, but I think that I can find everything I need about techniques, theory, song writing ,etc… on intentet and the syn school. Should I go to the music school??