• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Key vs Scale?

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
If you have a I chord, does it mean it the song and Progression Starts with this chord?
So this is likely your Tone Center??
And did PG kinda mean the Key when He was talking about the Tone Center???
I believe you are correct here and your tone center is a great place to start and finish your solos.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Autumn

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portland, Oregon
    I think I may be oversimplifying, but I think of a scale being the notes (pitches) you are playing and a key being the chords you play along with it. The chords typically will be the same letters as the notes in the scale, but with an added (major, minor, diminished, etc).

For example -
    The notes in the A minor SCALE are: A B C D E F G
    The chords in the KEY of A minor are: A minor, B diminished, C Major, D minor, E minor, F Major, and G Major

I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I think I may be oversimplifying, but I think of a scale being the notes (pitches) you are playing and a key being the chords you play along with it. The chords typically will be the same letters as the notes in the scale, but with an added (major, minor, diminished, etc).

For example -
    The notes in the A minor SCALE are: A B C D E F G
    The chords in the KEY of A minor are: A minor, B diminished, C Major, D minor, E minor, F Major, and G Major

I hope that makes sense.
    Yes I think that also sums Up what I read before. Thanks!