• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Minor scale vs pentatonic minor scales

Ojas Sapkota

Garage band Groupie
Apr 19, 2020
Nepal
Why do so many guitarists use minor pentatonic scale? Wouldn't it be better to use regular minor scale as it provides 2 extra notes ( 2nd and minor sixth) which adds so much more colour to the solos? Would like to hear some ideas regarding this.

Will G. Diaz

New Student
Apr 15, 2020
Maybe someone else can explain a little better than me since I am not the best at theory by any means, But in my opinion using the pentatonic scale it is easier to use and a player does not have to worry as much about note choice to make it sound good, therefore it appeals a lot to people beginning to solo (like myself). When using the natural minor scale it makes the note choice matter much more and it is harder to make it sound "good". I'm sure someone else can give you a much better answer but that's my take on it:D

• Wow
Reactions: Ojas Sapkota

Ojas Sapkota

Garage band Groupie
Apr 19, 2020
Nepal
Maybe someone else can explain a little better than me since I am not the best at theory by any means, But in my opinion using the pentatonic scale it is easier to use and a player does not have to worry as much about note choice to make it sound good, therefore it appeals a lot to people beginning to solo (like myself). When using the natural minor scale it makes the note choice matter much more and it is harder to make it sound "good". I'm sure someone else can give you a much better answer but that's my take on it:D
Personally, i can easily solo using regular minor scales but i have problems using pentatonic scale exclusively....I guess it might have something to do with cultural differences. In eastern music, I don't think the pentatonic scale is used much. Just feels wierd though

Will G. Diaz

New Student
Apr 15, 2020
Personally, i can easily solo using regular minor scales but i have problems using pentatonic scale exclusively....I guess it might have something to do with cultural differences. In eastern music, I don't think the pentatonic scale is used much. Just feels wierd though
I totally get it, my favorite scales are indian or middle/eastern in origin, Ther is something about them that just sounds so cool!!

• Wow

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Pentatonic scale helps giving it more of a straight up blues feel, the natural minor/major scale go more into jazz really. Usually people combine the two in a solo though.

Also, there's not really a rule that says you have to stay inside the same scale for the whole solo. If a note outside a scale works over the chord you're playing over you can still use it if you like the sound of it.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Ben newton

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
www.instagram.com
Though they share similar notes, there is quite a difference within their approach. Such as pentatonics used more for the blues. Blues players arent thinking quantity (or thinking about those extra two notes....if anything they are thinking about a flat 5). They are thinking more about stylistic decisions. Though totally get that being from another part of the world that the pentatonic scale isnt really used as much. Thinking about it, two notes per string is quite strange isnt it. It's just stylistically appropriate for certain genres.

• Wow
Synner Endless Summer Collection