• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Alicia Willis

Practice! (Also discovered I need to dangle my thumb)

I think this is going to be what I practice daily now. I did basically this yesterday but a lot at once and got a bit frustrated at times. So today, I’ve done this several times in short increments. I practiced a few times before work, and now after. I’m thinking Multiple short practice sessions Are better for me than one really long one.
I also wanted to get a better shot of my fretting hand to make sure I was alternate picking correctly. Let me know what you guys think.
Also, I’ve noticed my ring finger is pretty sore. I do have a callus on it, but it’s in a different spot that where it hurts now. I’m assuming it’s the bends. Am I using the side of my finger too much ?

Also, I’ve noticed my ring finger is pretty sore. I do have a callus on it, but it’s in a different spot that where it hurts now. I’m assuming it’s the bends. Am I using the side of my finger too much ?
If it Hurts maybe Take it slow tomorrow but I would not say you use it too much. Just in a way you're Not used to. Same for me and tapping. I occasionally start and Stop doing tapping stuff and so when I start again I am likely to have a blister the next day 😂
Also good Job on those bends!!

Reactions: Alicia Willis
If it Hurts maybe Take it slow tomorrow but I would not say you use it too much. Just in a way you're Not used to. Same for me and tapping. I occasionally start and Stop doing tapping stuff and so when I start again I am likely to have a blister the next day 😂
Also good Job on those bends!!
Hahaha thanks Dominik. I was worried I was doing it wrong sure since the side of my finger hurts. But I guess it would make sense to use the side to bend rather than just the tip ? Like I have a callus already but it’s in the middle on the tip of that finger.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
You can also use your wrist to help with more full bends.. rather then bending with the finger.. turn the wrist slightly.. hard to explain but if you play with your wrist you'll figure out the motion. I feel wrist bends have a ton more emotion in them.

My ring finger was pretty sore for days while I was learning Parisienne Walkways, but it will go away.. like @Dominik Graeber said, take it slow on the next day and that's all
Nice job!!

Good job on your bends! Keep it up and your finger will get used to it and wont be sore but as dominik said, take it slow till it doesnt hurt anymore. Once you’re confident and comfortable with getting the bend to the right note, try adding vibrato when you’re at the top of the bend! Keep it up 😁

The best and simplest advice I've ever heard on how to bend best: "The motion should be like turning a doorknob" Drape your finger over the neck like you are doing, and then turn your wrist like you're turning a doorknob, instead of moving your fingers. More leverage, less work, more swag lol.

It won't work for every note and sequence, but about 90% of the time it's what people need.

• Love
Reactions: Alicia Willis

Media information

Category
Beginners Corner
Added by
Alicia Willis
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings