• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Matt Wildcat

A Minor Pentatonic Day 2 - Pinky Focus

Yesterday, @Jak Angelescu mentioned that I should look to improve how I use my pinky finger, and so that's what I focused on today! A few notes:

1. The tucking-behind problem seems to be sorted, I think?
2. It still tends to stray from the fretboard a lot, it's hard to keep it close.
3. I think I'm tucking in my elbow too much? Gets really uncomfortable as it progresses
4. I'm feeling some tense-ness/strain in my arm, and I'm not sure how to fix it
5. Is it normal for my pinky finger to try and twist slightly? I tend to catch the string to the side of the tip of my finger (My left)
6. I stayed seated for this because I figured I should get it right first before throwing that into the mix, there's already a lot going on with the thumb, the fingertips and the elbow thing.

So after an hour+ of trying, I'm gonna give it a rest and try continue tomorrow after my exams! Any and all tips are welcomed! Cheers!
YES!!! This is 100% improvement!! Keep this video in mind EVERY SINGLE TIME you play!! Bravo!!
Thank you soooooo much!!! I had a quick mess around trying it with a few bits I use to warm up, and it's still a little tough, but hopefully it will get better as I keep going!! ❤️ ❤️

I played for over 10 years without a pinky. I'm now starting to catch up. Long time coming amd there are still definitely times where it doesn't wanna do what I need it to do. There are definitely times too where I still refer to my ring over the pinky in many shred situations too. Just cause I can. That's probably why my pinky isn't where it really should be yet but it's well on its way. A long process.

Reactions: Matt Wildcat
I played for over 10 years without a pinky. I'm now starting to catch up. Long time coming amd there are still definitely times where it doesn't wanna do what I need it to do. There are definitely times too where I still refer to my ring over the pinky in many shred situations too. Just cause I can. That's probably why my pinky isn't where it really should be yet but it's well on its way. A long process.
I feel ya there, I did the same thing. When I first started playing, I hated using my pinky, so I just didn't and used my 3rd for everything. I've only really started using it in the last year, and only now doing things properly lol. We'll get it though, just a long process as you said!

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
Matt Wildcat
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media