• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Anthony Peña

Alt Picking (Lesson 40)

Hello again everyone! I've been working on these exercises for a while, and I'm sure my left hand is sloppy, but I'm wondering more if my picking hand looks okay? Papa Gates talked about how Syn and many other great players angle the pick and tilt it back. I tried to find a decent camera angle that shows my pick, hopefully you can see it. If not, please let me know if there's a better way to show it. Thank you guys for watching!
I haven't mastered alternate picking the slightest so I can't give you a good tip on the angle of your pick, but your technique looked good to me. You may want less motion in your picking hand when you speed it up but other than that it looked great to me!

Reactions: Anthony Peña
I haven't mastered alternate picking the slightest so I can't give you a good tip on the angle of your pick, but your technique looked good to me. You may want less motion in your picking hand when you speed it up but other than that it looked great to me!
Awesome, thanks man. I'll practice keeping the movements smaller.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
Good one! Your picking hand was absolutely fine - as was your fretting hand.

Now for some really "picky"comments! (Excuse the pun)

- With your picking hand, a little less motion as already stated above. If you think about it, all your pick has to do is make it from one side of the string to the other. Practice with just one note and really focus on that motion. It will help when you speed up! Also, use a little less pick and see how you get on with that! (Though how you hold a pick is quite personal).

- Fretting hand was honestly fine. And you tackled that finger role in the second exercise really well too. The bit I mean is the bit going from string 3 to string 2.

- Try playing in different areas of the fretboard. Currently you are starting on the 5th fret, try starting on the 1st!

- Resist that temptation to beat the metronome!

- Practice with a clean tone too!

- With your picking hand, a little less motion as already stated above. If you think about it, all your pick has to do is make it from one side of the string to the other. Practice with just one note and really focus on that motion. It will help when you speed up! Also, use a little less pick and see how you get on with that! (Though how you hold a pick is quite personal).

- Fretting hand was honestly fine. And you tackled that finger role in the second exercise really well too. The bit I mean is the bit going from string 3 to string 2.

- Try playing in different areas of the fretboard. Currently you are starting on the 5th fret, try starting on the 1st!

Thank you for always diving deep into your analysis. I love hearing the specifics on my playing and how I can improve. I guess my only question is, once I get a feel for smaller picking motion on one string, what happens when it goes onto two strings? Meaning, when I start using it with actual playing? Would I do the same thing, only moving as far as necessary to reach the next string and then back to the string before it? Does this essentially apply to all types of picking- Economy, Sweep picking, etc. ?
Also, I have a bad habit of rushing the metronome. Will go even slower and lock it in. I'll write down your tips and grind them out. Thank you man.

Reactions: Ben newton
Thank you for always diving deep into your analysis. I love hearing the specifics on my playing and how I can improve. I guess my only question is, once I get a feel for smaller picking motion on one string, what happens when it goes onto two strings? Meaning, when I start using it with actual playing? Would I do the same thing, only moving as far as necessary to reach the next string and then back to the string before it? Does this essentially apply to all types of picking- Economy, Sweep picking, etc. ?
Also, I have a bad habit of rushing the metronome. Will go even slower and lock it in. I'll write down your tips and grind them out. Thank you man.

No probs!

Yeah apply the same idea to multiple strings. It is trickier, but it may really help. There's a lesson on this site regarding"inside picking" and "outside picking, have a watch and read and see how you get on with that!

Economy picking -Yes, until you apply the sweeping motion between strings.

Sweeping - No, the focus of sweeping is a well control rake with your picking hand. You just gotta be able to stop the raking motion at the right time! The inside/outside picking may help!

They basically have their own level of control.

Hope it helps!

Also, I have a bad habit of rushing uthe metronome. Will go even slower and lock it in. I'll write down your tips and grind them out. Thank you man.
If you're going faster then the metronome you probably gotta turn the volume up. You want the metronome to be an annoying reminder of your timing. Loud enough that it's in your head. But not so loud where it's all you hear.

No probs!

Yeah apply the same idea to multiple strings. It is trickier, but it may really help. There's a lesson on this site regarding"inside picking" and "outside picking, have a watch and read and see how you get on with that!

Economy picking -Yes, until you apply the sweeping motion between strings.

Sweeping - No, the focus of sweeping is a well control rake with your picking hand. You just gotta be able to stop the raking motion at the right time! The inside/outside picking may help!

They basically have their own level of control.

Hope it helps!
That's kind of what I figured, that they each have their own level of control. I think I'll tag you once I get to those more advanced picking techniques, if that's alright with you. Would love your feedback because while everything I'm learning is important, I feel like technique is the most essential. Thanks again, happy shredding!

Reactions: Ben newton
If you're going faster then the metronome you probably gotta turn the volume up. You want the metronome to be an annoying reminder of your timing. Loud enough that it's in your head. But not so loud where it's all you hear.
You're right. Usually I do have it louder when practicing, but I didn't want it to overpower my guitar for clarity of the video. But I honestly could probably have it louder. I will start doing that, thank you. Gotta feel the pulse!

J

Very well done 🙃🙃

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
Anthony Peña
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating