• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Christian Schulze

It's Synner Sunday!!! What the hell have I been doing?

Just a little what's up? How have you been doing?!
I'm gonna try doing that, just looping a simple 1 or 2 chords. I got this practice thing for the metronome, I'm not good at it yet as my timing is pretty bad naturally. I can't figure out bpms, I might be trying to go too fast. Haven't played for a couple days cause of rest. Hopefully I got the right mood or I'll try to force it and upload this rhythm thing for the metronome. It might help some

• Love
Reactions: Christian Schulze
I agree. Use 1 and 6 first. Then add in 1 5 6. You'll start hearing how different 5 is from 6 and 1. Them add in a 4 the next time. I had that same struggles but NOW I'm starting to identify the progression. I can't tell you the first chord yet but I can hear the 1 5 6 4 progression. It's getting better. You'll probably catch on faster with your knowledge you got from your private lessons.

Is there a chord families lesson here? With the I V VI things being explained?
I was thinking the other night, if your guitar is tuned to E standard you automatically play in C?
My guess is E being the lowest possible note, it's 2 notes lower than C, does that make C a tonal center? If I'm totally wrong just say so, it's probably 7 notes that make up a chord family like a scale, so three or 4 could be accurate. Just guessing

• Love
I was thinking the other night, if your guitar is tuned to E standard you automatically play in C?
My guess is E being the lowest possible note, it's 2 notes lower than C, does that make C a tonal center? If I'm totally wrong just say so, it's probably 7 notes that make up a chord family like a scale, so three or 4 could be accurate. Just guessing
There is a lesson o the chord family of C. Lesson 21 to be precise.

The I V IV is just a fancy way of saying...the 1 chord of the scale. The 5th and so on.

Now regarding the E standard..there is no scale you automatically play. You choose the key you want to be in and accordingly choose the scales. I mainly choose C Major for the time being, because it has no # or b. Makes it easier for me.

Indeed there are 7 chords that belong to a scale. For every scale degree there is a chord you can make.

Hope this answered your questions 😁

Reactions: William B.
There is a lesson o the chord family of C. Lesson 21 to be precise.

The I V IV is just a fancy way of saying...the 1 chord of the scale. The 5th and so on.

Now regarding the E standard..there is no scale you automatically play. You choose the key you want to be in and accordingly choose the scales. I mainly choose C Major for the time being, because it has no # or b. Makes it easier for me.

Indeed there are 7 chords that belong to a scale. For every scale degree there is a chord you can make.

Hope this answered your questions 😁
I guess I didn't study that lesson good enough, I'll check it out later again.
Seems like everything I play these days is C major :D at least something major.

• Love
Ok, quick little lesson in terms of chord. Basically you have something called harmony which is usually done in Roman numerals where upper case is major and lower case is minor and it tells you how the chord relate to each other.

If you play in C your I chord will be C and you're I-V-vi-IV chord progression will be the tone center which is C(I), G(V(chord where the fifth note of the C major scale is the root note)), Am(vi(chord where the sixth note of the C major scale is the root and is also the relative minor of C) and F(IV(where the root note is the fourth note of the C major scale). An example of this chord progression would be let It be.

In the general sense the I chord is the key you're on which is typically the chord that feels like home. For example if you would do a ii-V-I in C your you would get Dm-G-C instead and the I chord is the third chord in the progression because it resolved to that chord.

Harmony is a whole nother animal than just knowing the chord families tho so probably for simplicity learning the chord families first and how to build chords is a good idea first. Especially since not all the chords within a chord progression have to be in the same chord family, there are a lot of grey areas to be found there.

Reactions: William B.
Ok, quick little lesson in terms of chord. Basically you have something called harmony which is usually done in Roman numerals where upper case is major and lower case is minor and it tells you how the chord relate to each other.

If you play in C your I chord will be C and you're I-V-vi-IV chord progression will be the tone center which is C(I), G(V(chord where the fifth note of the C major scale is the root note)), Am(vi(chord where the sixth note of the C major scale is the root and is also the relative minor of C) and F(IV(where the root note is the fourth note of the C major scale). An example of this chord progression would be let It be.
This kind of made sense to me, So I now know the lower/upper case meanings.

In the general sense the I chord is the key you're on which is typically the chord that feels like home. For example if you would do a ii-V-I in C your you would get Dm-G-C instead and the I chord is the third chord in the progression because it resolved to that chord.
Why isn't the Dm the I or i chord here? I'll try to find a chart online it might help me.
Harmony is a whole nother animal than just knowing the chord families tho so probably for simplicity learning the chord families first and how to build chords is a good idea first. Especially since not all the chords within a chord progression have to be in the same chord family, there are a lot of grey areas to be found there.
Would this kind of mean adding a note out of the normal scale to change things up? Like if you were to write a solo but in this case a chord progression.

This kind of made sense to me, So I now know the lower/upper case meanings.

Why isn't the Dm the I or i chord here? I'll try to find a chart online it might help me.

Would this kind of mean adding a note out of the normal scale to change things up? Like if you were to write a solo but in this case a chord progression.
The I chord is the chord you resolve to. That feels like home and your chord progression always want to back to. Where the chord progression goes back to is determined by cadence's and specifically plagal and perfect cadences. A plagal cadence is IV-I and a perfect cadence is V-I. Ik the case of Dm-G-C the perfect cadence happens when you go from G(V) to C(I) so it's in C and therefore C is the one chord and Dm is the ii chord.

Yes, for example you can borrow chord from a different mode which is called intermodal interchange. For example take Dm-G-Cm instead of Dm-G-C. Now we're in the key of C harmonic minor instead of C major. However, Dm isn't in the C harmonic minor chord family because if it was it should be Ddim instead. This Dm is borrowed from C Dorian but even tho it isn't in the C harmonic minor chord family it is still a ii chord because the root is the second note in the C harmonic minor scale.

Media information

Category
Beginners Corner
Added by
Christian Schulze
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media