• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Practice with metronome~

Not sure if this is the right spot for this... But tried to do the C Major Scale with a metronome. I’m a beginner, so I think the speed is only at 100bpm. (I can definitely play it faster, but I’m not used to the metronome still) Google has a free one I’ve been using. Hope I did alright!
You are doing really well Rowan! Its a really good habit to pick up. I see you are playing one note per beat which is a good way to start. There are multiple ways to do it like for exemple playing 4 notes per beat or 8, etc... you get the point. But really playing with the metronome is always about adjusting to what you can do well and then after that evolving the exercise.

As for the speed, the best advice I can give is to always adjust to the speed you need. There isnt a beginner or advanced speed. I am a more advanced guitarist and after Bill gave me some exercises, I was floored because I couldnt do them at his recommended speed and had to readjust to a much slower pace and build up from there.

My point is, go at your pace You are doing really well!

Thank you so much for such an amazing and supportive, yet constructive comment Radu! I really appreciate it. And I read something that said, one note per beat until about 120bpm and then try to do two per beat. But I think I’ll just try to do what fits me at the time. There’s so many ways you could do it, like you elaborated on.
I feel you. Bill and Jak are a big part of the reason I’m working on this in the first place. And I definitely thought it best to work slow and correct myself as I go than try to fly through it and get mistakes stuck into habit.

Reactions: Rad Synner
Yes well there are tons of ways to work with a metronome! If what works for you is doing one note per beat until 120, then go for it! But if you find yourself struggling when you raise the BPM, its never a bad thing to slow it back down until you get comfortably use to it! My practice regimen has me doing exercises at a specific BPM for an entire week and then raise it by 10 for the next. But at some point, I hit a point where it just gets sloppy and i cant correctly do the exercise. So I slow it back down and spend more time on it and then instead of raising by 10, I raise it by 5 to test the water! I have made immense progress with this way! Learning to play something slowly will make the difference between a sloppy performance and an awesome performance!

Oooo!!! I’m definitely going to try it your way if I run into any trouble!!! That sounds like an awesome way of doing things. Thank you for this gold!

Reactions: Rad Synner
yess girl ! I’m so freaking proud of you ! I myself have such a hard time using a metronome, something’s weird in my brain hahaha, you did it !!!! And did it well ! On time, smooth changes and I noticed at the end right before you cut the camera off, you had your missed a note but instinctively went ahead to the next even though you didn’t play it and just stopped there. I thought that was important because if you would have kept going it still would have been fine because you didn’t miss a beat

J
Look at my girl giving a count-off in the beginning...
Jazz performer right there

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
RoaringRowanThunderBender
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media