• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
K

struggling barre high chords

• Kim
Could use some help :P
If you ask me that's really just a matter of practice. But I can tell you that you will barely ever need a barre chord on the twelved fret or higher. In a song context you would ofthen only play part of the chord, making the barre unneccessary. Eg. instead of playing the full E barre chord on the twelved fret you would probably just play a double stop and play the A and D string on the 14th fret.

Reactions: Ed Seith and Kim
you are having trouble ringing out all the notes on barre chords higher up the neck? if you are, i don't think you should. i don't think it's a big deal, most songs won't be playing full barre chords so far up. Ofcourse i could be wrong.
i'm guessing your dutch?
Yes Im dutch (you here it for my ' english' speaking I guess, its funny that you can here when someone is dutch speaking english lol), you too i read here in a forum post

If you ask me that's really just a matter of practice. But I can tell you that you will barely ever need a barre chord on the twelved fret or higher. In a song context you would ofthen only play part of the chord, making the barre unneccessary. Eg. instead of playing the full E barre chord on the twelved fret you would probably just play a double stop and play the A and D string on the 14th fret.
Youre both right, its not used very much. But i was trying the intro of To Live is To Die, Metallica, and there was a chord, i really couldnt make anything of (and the video of Guitar365, he could :p)

Youre both right, its not used very much. But i was trying the intro of To Live is To Die, Metallica, and there was a chord, i really couldnt make anything of (and the video of Guitar365, he could :p)
Hmm I just checked a couple of covers and it seems it only uses a barre chord on the 7th fret. That seems doable. Just keep practicing and you will get it!

Hmm I just checked a couple of covers and it seems it only uses a barre chord on the 7th fret. That seems doable. Just keep practicing and you will get it!

At 3 minutes he playes a chord (not full barre) at 12th fret, my fingers really cant do this :p
I will check other lessons/covers, the 7th fret is more my thing :)

I have this same issue. Like you, and many people do, I also roll my index finger to the slide and slightly over pronate my hand to achieve the barre. But when you move up frets, they get closer together and you have less room to be able to play the barre the same way. For the higher frets I find I have to just lay my index finger flat instead of trying to do the “roll”. I could be wrong though lol

Try going for even pressure with your index finger. I got issues with this one too! Because the space where you have to fit your fingers in is smaller the pressure you need to apply Has to be more even. Anybody else wants to chime in on this?

I have this same issue. Like you, and many people do, I also roll my index finger to the slide and slightly over pronate my hand to achieve the barre. But when you move up frets, they get closer together and you have less room to be able to play the barre the same way. For the higher frets I find I have to just lay my index finger flat instead of trying to do the “roll”. I could be wrong though lol
Yeah thats exactly what i have :)

Try going for even pressure with your index finger. I got issues with this one too! Because the space where you have to fit your fingers in is smaller the pressure you need to apply Has to be more even. Anybody else wants to chime in on this?
It is the space that is smaller, but also that i cant roll my index finger at high frets. I will try going for even pressure :)

• Love
Reactions: Christian Schulze

Media information

Category
Beginners Corner
Added by
Kim
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings