• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Matt Wildcat

Synner Sunday - A Minor Pentatonic Scale Positions

Trying to get back into things - Again!
Working on the A Minor Pentatonic Scale, but all across the fretboard today, as shown to me by Bill. A few things to note that I'm trying to work on with this:

1. Keeping my thumb behind the fretboard
2. Using the tips of my fingers, not the pads
3. When going up/forward, not removing fingers from notes until the next string
4. When going down/backwards, having fingers already in place before pulling off.
5. Trying not to tense my arm (Failed, oops)

It's a lot to do, and probably too much to try in one go, but given the time I've had off, I wanted to try a fresh-ish start? And I wanted to do it the right way. Not sure how I did though, so I would love to hear any advice! Cheers!
J
I am giving you the biggest congratulations ever! First and foremost, according to your description you are definitely working on a lot. So I don't want to overwhelm you with any new information. I think it's best for you to take small chunks at a time like you're doing and I think you are doing great! My only suggestion is for you to rewatch this video and look at what your pinky has a tendency to do. Randomly you will curl your pinky all the way down and almost behind the neck and sometimes it flies off the neck and then sometimes it has a good position. Try to work on gaining control of your pinkie right from the get go in this stage of your playing, and try to move it like how you move your other fingers. All of your fingers should move in the same exact way if that makes sense :) if it doesn't make sense just let me know and I would be more than happy to elaborate! I am so proud of you!

• Love
Reactions: Matt Wildcat
I am giving you the biggest congratulations ever! First and foremost, according to your description you are definitely working on a lot. So I don't want to overwhelm you with any new information. I think it's best for you to take small chunks at a time like you're doing and I think you are doing great! My only suggestion is for you to rewatch this video and look at what your pinky has a tendency to do. Randomly you will curl your pinky all the way down and almost behind the neck and sometimes it flies off the neck and then sometimes it has a good position. Try to work on gaining control of your pinkie right from the get go in this stage of your playing, and try to move it like how you move your other fingers. All of your fingers should move in the same exact way if that makes sense :) if it doesn't make sense just let me know and I would be more than happy to elaborate! I am so proud of you!
Ahhhhh, thank you so much, Momma Cat!! It was definitely a real tough practice session this morning, but I know if I keep at it, I'll start making some good progress! I was wondering about my pinky, honestly, it's always been such a pain to control. I'll make that my focus for tomorrow, and if I'm stuck for ways on fixing it, I'll come back to ya! 🤘 😍 🤘

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
Matt Wildcat
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media