• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Ed Seith

Synner Sundays - Edison's Medicine

I've been reading the autobiography of Tesla's bassist this week (it's actually a lot better than I expected it to be) and this morning, I was reading about the making of their 3rd album, Psychotic Supper. Edison's Medicine was the lead single from that album, so I decided to start learning it this afternoon. This is my second playthrough the track - some parts I can't play up to speed or get lost, other parts I haven't actually learned yet. No thought given to any leads yet AT ALL. This is as raw as it gets for me, so here you go. If I decide to keep working on this one, there might be a progress video in a couple weeks, though this is not something I would work on continuously for all of that time.
What I really wanted to show here is that even seasoned players have a road to learning a song, and it always starts out really rough. With any song I'm learning, I start with the intros and memorable parts - the verses, choruses, etc. Through repetition, I find the smaller parts, the bridges, the single-repeat nuances, and finally the leads, that fill in the blanks so I can play the whole song.

For newer players, it is REALLY helpful to think of the song and the guitar solo as two separate things. A song like Afterlife is not SUPER difficult to pick up the important parts of the SONG, and playing the rhythm under the solo is (probably) not that hard, either. The song is intermediate - the solo is very advanced.

Don't let a solo discourage you from learning a song. I can play (if I knock off the rust) literally hundreds of songs, end to end, but I may only know 20-40 solos at any given time.

So there ya go.

What I really wanted to show here is that even seasoned players have a road to learning a song, and it always starts out really rough. With any song I'm learning, I start with the intros and memorable parts - the verses, choruses, etc. Through repetition, I find the smaller parts, the bridges, the single-repeat nuances, and finally the leads, that fill in the blanks so I can play the whole song.

For newer players, it is REALLY helpful to think of the song and the guitar solo as two separate things. A song like Afterlife is not SUPER difficult to pick up the important parts of the SONG, and playing the rhythm under the solo is (probably) not that hard, either. The song is intermediate - the solo is very advanced.

Don't let a solo discourage you from learning a song. I can play (if I knock off the rust) literally hundreds of songs, end to end, but I may only know 20-40 solos at any given time.

So there ya go.
Loved your playing and loved this message. I really needed it! 💫🖤

• Love
Reactions: Ed Seith

So there ya go.
It's so awesome to see experienced players share this kind of thing!
Thank you, Ed!

• Love
Reactions: Ed Seith

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
Ed Seith
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating