• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Dominik Gräber

The Metallica Downpicking Experiment

Okay, bear with me. After the little talk I had with @Ed Seith and @Ojas Sapkota in the forum I was curious how long I need to warm up these days to get Creep and Master up to speed.

I did warm up about 30-40 minutes for this BUT I realized (as I barely played to backing tracks before) that I've been playing Creep way too fast. Now I got issues with the timing when playing to a track, that's why I mess up the downpicking with Creep quite a bit.
I think I tried to play Master too fast too (but failed) so when putting on the backing track to Master it was quite easy to play it up to speed.

I don't know the whole songs so I can't tell you how it feels like to play this speed for 5 min + so this might be the next thing to experiment on.
Sounds good man! Id love to see you cover creeping death all the way through! One thing though, how are you doing the hammer on/pull off lick on the main riff? It sounded weird to me but it could just be bc maybe ive been playing it wrong 😂 ive always played it like:

D——-2——2–2——————————
A——-2——2—2——2h3-2h3p2p0
E 0-0—0-0—0—0-0————————

And duuude you downpicked master of puppets. I cant even do that. 😂😂

Master sounds fine, could be cleaner and smoother.....but in case of creeping death, as you said, sometimes you tend to move out of sync...and at the start after picking open e several times, when you play E5 and d5, i think they are actually both picked instead of slided into d5 from e5. Try it man. And nice guitar by the way

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
Sounds good man! Id love to see you cover creeping death all the way through! One thing though, how are you doing the hammer on/pull off lick on the main riff? It sounded weird to me but it could just be bc maybe ive been playing it wrong 😂 ive always played it like:

D——-2——2–2——————————
A——-2——2—2——2h3-2h3p2p0
E 0-0—0-0—0—0-0————————

Thanks! I play 2 3 instead of 2h3 I think but can't tell you If it's right. It's been an eternity since I learned this 🤣

• Wow
Reactions: Ojas Sapkota
Master sounds fine, could be cleaner and smoother.....but in case of creeping death, as you said, sometimes you tend to move out of sync...and at the start after picking open e several times, when you play E5 and d5, i think they are actually both picked instead of slided into d5 from e5. Try it man. And nice guitar by the way
Yeah, as I said, first time playing to the backing track and I really have problems with the Timing. Working on getting master Clean, but it's hard as I switched to a different Pick and haven't played it Standing up a lot.
You might be right with the Slide in Creep but I think it sounds cool either way. They might do the slide live.

D——-2——2–2——————————
A——-2——2—2——2h3-2h3p2p0
E 0-0—0-0—0—0-0————————

Maybe I play only one 0 before the a String lick. That might explain my Timing issues with the riff🤔 can't Check right now

Edit: according to the Tabs I play it correctly

Last edited:

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
Dominik Gräber
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings