• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Kai C

Update To Alt Pick

I wanted to give an update to one of the videos I posted last week to a discussion thread on the etudes. This one is alt picking 1 (plus a little extra because I was feeling frustrated tonight). I'm still working to improve my speed. Improvement seems slow but hopefully I'll be able to look back on this and see a real difference. And this past week I got so much advice from you all here it was wonderful, hopefully I won't let it go in one ear and out the other. So thank you everybody for being the awesome people you are and keep the suggestions coming. ~Kai
Hey, good stuff! Practicing the etudes is a long and painfull way but we will eventually get there! Liked your Cash Cover Cover :p
But I think you are doing the exact same "mistake" if you want to call it that that I just try to get rid of. You are actually economy picking that Alt I etude. Thing is, if you are strictly alt picking (down/up no matter what) this exercise becomes something entirely different. I actually made a video about exactly that, you can check it out if it helps you :)

Reactions: Kai C
@Dominik Graeber Yoooooo I was literally just about to post this on your video!!!! I watched yours last night and then at breakfast this morning was thinking that I might be doing the same thing. So I looked at my video, did an air guitar, counted out the down/up strokes, and noticed I did the the entire etude wrong! At first it was frustrating, but now I'm just laughing that I went an entire week not noticing. It's been bothering me all day!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominik Gräber
So I'm going to pose this to anybody who reads this; what is the significant advantage to alt picking in this pattern? I paid attention to the comments on @Dominik Graeber 's video and PG said alt picking works better in intervals of 2 and 4 while eco in 3's. So why practice strict alt picking in 3s to begin with other than to maybe shake muscle memory? Not trying to be obstinate, I'm honestly curious.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
So I'm going to pose this to anybody who reads this; what is the significant advantage to alt picking in this pattern? I paid attention to the comments on @Dominik Graeber 's video and PG said alt picking works better in intervals of 2 and 4 while eco in 3's. So why practice strict alt picking in 3s to begin with other than to maybe shake muscle memory? Not trying to be obstinate, I'm honestly curious.

Im not gonna get into the advantages and disadvantages of playing this exercise with alt vs eco picking because I honestly dont know.

The economy picking etude 1 is basically the same as the alt picking 1 etude slid up a few frets and a different pattern on the high and e and b strings to begin ascending in the picking pattern you started in (eco vs alt).

I believe the alt etude 1 is just a simple exercise to get you familiar with alt picking and more importantly the string changes.

So sure you could say a 3 note per string is easier to eco pick because of the string changes but i think SYN made the etudes both ways to help learn and get down both picking techniques.

In the end tho whatever works for you tho.

Reactions: Kai C
Im not gonna get into the advantages and disadvantages of playing this exercise with alt vs eco picking because I honestly dont know.

The economy picking etude 1 is basically the same as the alt picking 1 etude slid up a few frets and a different pattern on the high and e and b strings to begin ascending in the picking pattern you started in (eco vs alt).

I believe the alt etude 1 is just a simple exercise to get you familiar with alt picking and more importantly the string changes.

So sure you could say a 3 note per string is easier to eco pick because of the string changes but i think SYN made the etudes both ways to help learn and get down both picking techniques.

In the end tho whatever works for you tho.

Absolutely, and I understand the point of making the exercise like that. I spent some time on this one last night reworking as it was intended while also working on the eco picking 1. I'm just curious as to why some people or disciplines might be strictly alt picking when eco seems to be the natural flow

Honestly very good progress considering you have just started. Much faster than when I started 3 years ago. How do you do the second video angle like that?! Thanks really friken cool and I want to do it!

Honestly very good progress considering you have just started. Much faster than when I started 3 years ago. How do you do the second video angle like that?! Thanks really friken cool and I want to do it!

I have 2 webcams. The grainy, front shot is from the computers and the second angle is from a Razer webcam I got on sale last cyber Monday. I used open broadcaster to set up both in one recording along with a mic

Media information

Category
Beginners Corner
Added by
Kai C
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media