• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Jamie London

“Year of the Cat” Solo Practice

Practice makes perfect and this is definitely not perfect, so practice it is :P
Side note: year of the cat is one of my favorite songs of all time and if you haven’t heard it before, definitely check it out! :)
J
I love you for posting! I don't get to see you post that often and I'm so glad to see you on here! Nice tone, smooth connection. I'm not familiar with this song but I'll check it out!

For the criticism, I'm going to quote Kiko Loureiro. About a week ago I watched a live stream of his and he talked about an amazing thing. "If your pinky is flying all over the place or is constantly away from the neck, you don't have real control over it. And good speed comes from good control."

I literally did NOTHING but do permutations and not allow my pinky to come more than a 1/4-1/2 an inch off the fretboard. It's also something my teacher talks about regularly. I did this for four hours, ONLY this, with scales as well, everyday.

Your pinky will get sore. And also try bending JUST THE TIP knuckle to hit the string. Like little tip pinky curls. You'll have to play slower. But believe me, this will improve your speed and dexterity like fucking crazy.
And keep working on that vibrato! That was the only thing this solo missed!.

I give it a 5/5! Love you man!

• Love
Reactions: Jamie London
I love you for posting! I don't get to see you post that often and I'm so glad to see you on here! Nice tone, smooth connection. I'm not familiar with this song but I'll check it out!

For the criticism, I'm going to quote Kiko Loureiro. About a week ago I watched a live stream of his and he talked about an amazing thing. "If your pinky is flying all over the place or is constantly away from the neck, you don't have real control over it. And good speed comes from good control."

I literally did NOTHING but do permutations and not allow my pinky to come more than a 1/4-1/2 an inch off the fretboard. It's also something my teacher talks about regularly. I did this for four hours, ONLY this, with scales as well, everyday.

Your pinky will get sore. And also try bending JUST THE TIP knuckle to hit the string. Like little tip pinky curls. You'll have to play slower. But believe me, this will improve your speed and dexterity like fucking crazy.
And keep working on that vibrato! That was the only thing this solo missed!.

I give it a 5/5! Love you man!

Jaaaaak! Thank you so much for the comment, it made my day! 😄😄 My pinky has always been one of my biggest weaknesses, so I’m always up for any tips, advice, etc! Going to give your pinky practice a try! Definitely will keep the vibrato in mind as well!

It’s odd, sometimes I’m super on it vibrato wise, other times not so much. This solo, I’ve never been great with vibrato wise (I’m actually relearning this one, it’s been years since I last played it) but that was a big issue for me with this one before and it seems to be yet again. But something like “Feast of Friends” by The Doors and Jim Morrison (which is literally just “albinoni's adagio in g minor“ played on guitar with Jim doing spoken word over it) I crush it with the vibrato. And that’s another issue of mine, some of my weaknesses and strengths can be situational at times, it’s definitely something I’m working on though 😁

You’re the best! 🖤

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
Jamie London
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media