• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

7 String Guitars and Theory

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hey all, I’ve been curious to pick some brains on this for a while now.
    A couple months ago, I bought my first 7 string guitar. I was unsure whether or not I would like it, but I got an amazing deal and so I thought “what’s to lose?”. So I bought it, and I’ve absolutely loved it. I would almost go so far as to say at the current point in time that I prefer the 7 string format to the 6 string, for reasons such as neck size and extended scales and notes.
    7 strings have a lot of flak, mainly for being only good for the “duhjent gawds” who want to go as low as possible. However, I find myself taking an approach much more similar to Steve Vai and John Petrucci, where the seventh string serves as simply a source of more notes, similar to adding more notes to the lower end of your piano. So I’m wondering, does anybody else here use 7 strings in a similar way? And if so, what’s the best way to approach finding out how chords and scales can be augmented/added to by utilizing these extra notes? I’m sorry if this sounds a bit wack and confusing, but I’m trying to put out some feelers for how I can best utilize this tool. I know Syn has an 8 string sitting around, so I’m curious how he’s approached from that format as well.

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    That’s how it SHOULD be used! A lot of times we, as musicians, put ourselves in boxes and limit our creativity. We hear 7 strings used commonly on djent stuff, so we just assume that that is what you’re supposed to use them for. People dont realize this, but 7 strings were originally used for classical over 200 years ago! They wanted more range to rival the range of a piano. They were also popular with jazz players so they could play walking basslines and chord melodies.